• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

modders will find this utility very useful...

Started by TheJamsh, July 05, 2008, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

http://www.texturemaker.com/download.php

read there for details... it doesnt just MAKE textures... look yourself

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

So... it is a standard procedural generator, why would you pay for something like that, the pretty interface I guess.
I made a library a while ago that generates procedural textures for inside the program, feed it the data from a file, and it generates at whatever quality and settings you want.  I have been meaning to create a newer one (even have the interface started) that will spit out a file of texture definitions (no, not xml, this is one of those tasks that xml would such at due to the backreferences and such, I'll make something...), but when loaded into the app I will compile the generator into machine code at runtime (in other words, instead of tons of virtual function calls because of the tons of mix-and-match things that can be done for a procedural generator, being called for each pixel you want generated, it will instead quite literally build a new function at machine code level and pass back an appropriate tr1::function pointer, to make sure they get the signature correct, and they just call that function, passing in whatever pixel, time, or whatever other data their procedural generator used, and hit that directly, with vast optimizations, stuff like that is easy to optimize, and it will execute, probably faster than handwriting the code itself, consistantly).

And no, it is not just for textures, although it will be used for textures, it is also for a generic procedural generator to create everything from texture-like terrain heightmaps, to procedural randomization of tree layout, to solar system generation to etc... to etc..

If anyone pokes me on being interested in such a thing (the designer interface can also save the textures directly, so that is what BZ2 peeps would use if they used this) then I could be convinced to reallocate some of my programming time from other projects to that, otherwise I program things as I use them, so it would not be done until after at least two other big projects currently going on.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Can I have some of your brain?  Just a little???    :evil:

-Av-

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

OvermindDL1

Heh...

The big thing about the interface, I am trying to decide whether to go in a grid-like approach, easier to use, easier to follow the path of things, but could potentially be more crowded and too much for the eye to handle, or I could do in a tree style, would take a lot more space so there would be a ton of scrolling around, but there could be a lot more information displayed at a time in a vastly easier to read way, but as stated, a ton of scrolling would be involved.  What would be preferred?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Steeveeo

a combination of the two sounds good (if I understood that correctly)

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

well i officially dont have the brain power to read that this time of the morning.

i didnt realy look into it... just saw texture generator and thought oo, maybe people will like. free 30 day trial. thought it was an open scource freeware thing

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.