• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Theoredically, could an invisible unit be made by simply...

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, July 07, 2008, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

adding all the HP points without any real model geometry? I could imagine if it were possible that the unit would really look (no pun intended) strange seeing weapons fire and missiles coming from out of nowhere. Still, a whole race/mod could be created in record time right? Geeze, I need to a new hobby before I lose it completrly. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Warfreak

You're better off setting up a box as needed and giving the box a completely transparent texture..... I dont think BZ2 can make hps jsut float on their own (unless you have a dummyroot, then it MIGHT work)

Zero Angel

plus, have you ever tried to GET in a vehicle that has no geometry? Its nearly impossible. Same with vehicles that have teeny tiny geometry.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

GreenHeart

Yeah, its possible.  I had made a construction rig once that was basicly only a bunch of hp's linked to one main hp to see what was required to make it.  During the test the construction rig drove through my ship after i first placed it.  You'll need to have all the required parts for each type of class in order not cause any problems.  My first model looked good in the modeling program but after i got it imported i tried placing it on the map & didn't see anything.  While testing a weapon i noticed a small fruit fly moving around on my monitor & i tried to kill it will my hand only to find out that was the model i placed.  no bigger than the size of a grain of sand.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

TheJamsh

dont need to make it small or no gemoetry, open the thing in threed, select every material, go to the opacity slider and stick it down to 0...

one transparent vehicle lol

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

BNG Da BZ Fool

That's cool GH. It just seems the more I consider modeling stuff for the game the wilder my imagination becomes. I remember in one dream I had years back in which I was being hounded by a Scion Warrior tank in the wreckage of a bombed out city trying to get away from it without must success. Ever since then my mind has started to imagine the coolest looking ships. If only I can figure out how to reproduce these models in my 3d modeling application. Boy! Would I be one happy camper...BNG.

PS: I'm going to try to produce some transparent units something like the alien in the movie Predator. I recall one Cerberi unit that looks nearly invisible. I wonder if it was painted with a transparent texture? GSL, supports something like it but I think it's more of a shader effect. Just have to do some more testing with th material editor tools to figure it out.

Cool TJ, I give er a whirl bro!
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

Quotedont need to make it small or no gemoetry, open the thing in threed, select every material, go to the opacity slider and stick it down to 0...

one transparent vehicle lol
Unless you turn all the lighting off.

General BlackDragon

i vote useing morphtank class if u want the ship to also be stealthed

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

Quote from: General BlackDragon on July 07, 2008, 04:05:22 PM
i vote useing morphtank class if u want the ship to also be stealthed
Same, and give it the crome effect (instead of animated) with the smoke.tga as the env texture, so it looks like it fades out.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

General BlackDragon

Quote from: Steeveeo on July 07, 2008, 05:40:47 PM
Same, and give it the crome effect (instead of animated) with the smoke.tga as the env texture, so it looks like it fades out.

that works?

General BlackDragon

bigbadbogie

You might wanna ask GSH to get that working.. I remember that Chinese units faded out when they morphed.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Steeveeo

Quote from: Avatar on July 07, 2008, 06:06:19 PM
Um... no.

-Av-
I don't see why not. Since, IIRC, you can set a chrome texture on a per-race basis, just set it to smoke.tga.

Don't believe me? Make a new scion ship that morphs into something with an invisible geometry (somehow), then do the console command chrome.texture smoke.tga.

I sometimes set that for the fun of all biometal effects looking like water.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.