• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

building a game like battlezone 2 need advice

Started by bhutnath, July 16, 2008, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil

What box???

VSMIT

That brings to mind a certain ZP review...

:lol: :lol:
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

TheJamsh

lol so true

the real trick is to make unreality realistic

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Russian Roulette

hmmm, seems there are a lot of people trying to create a game 'like' battlezone, I am working on a storyline right now for a game that my co-workers and I are looking to develop, it will be similar to battlezone using the same style of gameplay, but with more fps ability in it, but I'm still looking for an engine, but I will have plenty of eye candy once Unreal[R] engine III comes out for free  :evil:

anyhoo looks great AV

Nielk1

Quote from: bigbadbogie on July 19, 2008, 05:26:01 PM
@N1 - If they are anti-gravity, why do they have dust trails? Its actually biometal propulsion emitting some kind of energy that keeps the unit floating.

Noooo, it isn't. In BZ1 it is the large thrusters on all the ships and in BZ2's movies it is the thrusters on the back.

Click on the image...

Warfreak

I thought the thrusters aided movement in BZ2, since they are too far back on the ship to keep it up..... in BZ1 is IS the thrusters.

Nielk1

BZ1 uses more down thrusters, but the craft still levitate when an electrical field is put through them.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

It can't levitate unless it is emitting a force which keeps the unit floating by pushing it up from the ground, hence the dust trails.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

You are suggesting that a force is moving the dirt particles, but in reality what moves them is the impact of another matter. In BZ1 if it exhaust from the thrusters, but floating biometal itself creates a gravity field. For example, try magnets. Cover a magnet in dirt, hold another magnet over top so it repels, and watch as the dirt does not move (as long as the magnet in it is secured in place).

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

You're both correct. The explanation for the dust trails however, is more likely due to the aerodynamic properties of the craft forcing the air underneath it into the ground and thus kicking up dust. On planets like the moon where there is little gravity and virtually no atmosphere, its also possible that some residual particles being released from the thrusters (or repulsor surfaces) on the craft alone might also be able to move dust around a lot more since there is not a lot of gravity to restrict the movement of such dust.

Quote from: bigbadbogie on July 29, 2008, 09:54:40 PM
It can't levitate unless it is emitting a force which keeps the unit floating by pushing it up from the ground, hence the dust trails.
Look at this Magnetic Levitation video, and note how the liquid hydrogen reacts after the superconductor has established a magnetic field with the magnet. The liquid hydrogen at the top of the superconductor does not move around according to the magnetic field, it just stays put. But when you move the superconductor, it will force the liquid nitrogen outwards with additional force similar to that of of a craft kicking up dust when it passes over a dusty surface.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression