• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

building a game like battlezone 2 need advice

Started by bhutnath, July 16, 2008, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhutnath

Hello all,

I need a game developed that is similar to battlezone 2 (though more complex). Think of this game as the dady of BZ2 where BZ2 types games are embedded within a larger RTS game. The game play though is RTS/FPS with the treatment identical to BZ2 rather than other games such as savage etc.

The game is a part of a program to develop decision making, problem solving, communication skills and leadership qualities.

The project is a go there are no two aways about it. The problem is I have NO EXPERIENCE in this field.

I was wondering if you folks could help me understand, how to evaluate potential vendors and issues that I should consider.

I am in conversation with couple of small development studios in Eastern Europe or 1 man shows in the US   (albeit with a few titles under his belt mostly in arcade or roller coaster type games. He promises to put together a team)

I need just the multiplayer element, no single player, music etc. Graphics just a notch better than BZ2 and not cutting edge. If need be the game could be limited to a single terrain type (snow, desert whatever)

I am being quoted %150-$250k, is this realistic?

What kind design studios I should be talking to. I cannot spend the kind of money big publishers do. The game is for a niche training/ learning market and $150-$250k is about the budget. Possible?

would appreciate all help I can get.

regards

ah one more thing, could some one review this engine for me?
http://www.panteragamestudio.com/engine.htm

Power Board

bigbadbogie

Not in our hearts maybe, but people who have never heard of BZ would probably love the idea.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Feared_1

There was some guy a few month ago who posted that his company was doing a remake of Battlezone II or something. He didn't mention much at all, didn't seem very specific, and haven't heard from him since...

EDIT: Removed random sentence :P

technoid

Quote from: Feared_1 on July 17, 2008, 11:36:43 AMThere was some guy a few month ago who posted that his company was doing a remake of Battlezone II or something. He didn't mention much at all, didn't seem very specific, and haven't heard from him since...

Yep, right here:   http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,7686.0.html

bhutnath, I'd start there, that thread by frozenfire, and see what you're up against.  If anything, you and him are asking similar questions.  Then maybe after that, you could ask someone like BS'er (he's registered here), a longtime fellow BZ and BZ2 gamer/modder, who is currently developing his own game. 

Last but not least, search for past threads here.

bhutnath

thank you for the tips.

It is interesting to see other projects in work. The project I am looking after will be part of program to develop leadership, decision making EI related skills. The game will not be available in the market for purchase (bummer).

In this sense it is not in competition with any other game. In fact if another game meets our requirement I would happy to license it. If BZ2 licensing issue would allow and if a mod could do the work. I will be happy to fund its development. We are not in the 'gaming' business. Its developing learning experiences that interests us and we think that games like BZ2 has a lot to offer here.

No one in my firm has any experience with developing games and I was hopping that folks here could sensitize me to issues that would be of importance.

technoid

Why not just start and play with BZ2?  You may be better off going with BZ2 with a mod as you said.  This should save you financewise and timewise, rather than building a new game from scratch.  There are many dev houses around you can inquire with about contractual freelancing, and I believe you're already doing that research.  Yes you may have to check with Pandemic Studios about licensing if you will be using BZ2 in a corporate environment, if there is such a thing in BZ2's EULA (sorry haven't looked at it in awhile).  I think buying several copies of BZ2 would be better than the suggested allocation of $250k (it's probably higher than that, dunno).   Or you can always get around that and have a LAN party at your house with your work colleagues... err friends.  Of course, you probably can't get a corp tax writeoff on it if you do it that way.  :wink: 

AcneVulgaris

Wow.  It just so happens that I have been working on a game that has a lot of elements from BZII.  I had been planning on keeping it simple as a kind of deathmatch arcade game, for the simple reason that I figured it was the only way I could make money with it....BZII is too complicated for the mass market.

How very, very fortuitous that you should show up here :)

I work with the Unity engine, and did the following to learn my way around it a bit:

http://slackerrevolution.com/PickleWars.zip.zip

This is the windows version...just unzip it and run the exe.  I can provide a Mac version if you like.  It's pretty rough, but it only took me about 100 hours to make, starting from knowing nothing about the Unity Engine.  My current project is progressing much more quickly.

The game I am currently working on is titled "ZonePatrol", and has been designed as a race game in the style of Hydro Thunder...its going to be using an elliptical trainer machine for a controller.  As I code up the physics and basic stuff, I've been nursing the idea of an intergalactic conquest mmog with strat elements from the Battlezone Games, Star Raiders, and Star Control.

Here's a screenshot...I can send you a copy to play if you like.

As far as cost goes, I'd need more specifics on what it is you're building, and when you need it.  I can help you with a design document if you don't have one yet, too.

I'll send you a private message with my contact info.

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Feared_1

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

Its not just the texture.. its the distortion that really makes that something.

My BZ2 mods:

Steeveeo

Its what BZ2 has always needed, Distortion Shaders!

So many explosions, lots of water areas, it definitely could use them for graphical effect. But hey, who knows when BZ2 will ever get the ability to HAVE shaders at ALL?

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Feared_1

Quote from: Feared_1 on July 17, 2008, 08:47:23 PM
Wow, that looks nice.

Oh, I didn't mean the giant bean stalk, what is that?

I also like how you can see the land from far away. I wish BZ2 was able to do something like that, but it just murders FPS.