• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Polygon collision boxes

Started by Russian Roulette, July 29, 2008, 12:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russian Roulette

I was wondering if battlezone supports polygon collisions, as in: a collision box that fits the overall shape of an object, this is mainly used for a 'tight fit' on an object for improved realism.
Or does it only support the normal 'cube' style collision boxes(fyi: the four sided collision box)?

|^[{(*RR*)}]^|

Warfreak

BZ2 supports overall shape, but only for buildings and to get that to work correctly you have to make the collision yourself, as the BZ2 generated ones are a bit sketchy.
(Dont put a collision on it at all, put it to own terrain and ram into it ingame, you'll see what i mean.)

Nielk1

There is Square and Bubble for units and Square, Bubble, or collision mesh for buildings. Building collisions meshes are glitchy if not super simple, that is why auto generated ones are not good.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

auto generated ones also don't take deploy animations into account. (I.E. Extractor/Gun Spire/Matriarc)

*****General BlackDragon*****

bigbadbogie

I have never had a problem with auto-generated building collisions.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

GreenHeart

Quote from: bigbadbogie on July 29, 2008, 09:53:00 PM
I have never had a problem with auto-generated building collisions.

Well one of the Scion buildings had an invisible wall at times for some odd reason.  Commando found it during the private beta & i was asked to add a colision__hc to it.  The invisible wall was 200-300meters away & when the scion building was destroy the invisible way was gone.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

Nielk1

Did debug.collisions show the invisible wall?

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Just FYI: vehicles use a sphere collision by default, not a box collision. Which is weird, because a box collision is much more accurate and tighter fitting for units like the scout and tank. You have to add boxCollide = 1 somewhere under [GameObjectClass] to get a box collision.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

GSH

It's the old speed vs accuracy tradeoff. Spheres are *fast* to collide. Boxes, especially rotating boxes, are not so fast.

Remember: box specs for BZ2 say Pentium 200.

-- GSH

AcneVulgaris

Bah...I ran it on a 166 for a while.  In the snow. Uphill.  Both ways.

VSMIT

But it was an arduous journey, right? :-)

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

AcneVulgaris

Yes.  And when we got home, dad would kill us all with an axe.  Then we had to get up the next morning and do it all again.

OvermindDL1

I started running BZ2 on an old AMD (K6 I think... maybe earlier...) 200mhz, would not run on the 90mhz I had before that. :P

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

I had to get a whole new PC to play BZ2.

Click on the image...

GreenHeart

Quote from: Nielk1 on July 30, 2008, 11:47:27 AM
Did debug.collisions show the invisible wall?

Dunno, the debug.collisions came after the model was given a custom collision.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.