• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Need some help please

Started by Dianoga4, July 30, 2008, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dianoga4

Hey all, so I have a few vehicles and buildings built and I want to test them out in multiplayer with a few friends. I believe I've figured out how to add things to the constructors build list as well as the factory build list. I'm not wanting to make new maps or anything like that, I just want to add a few items to factory, constructor and maybe the recycler. This is what I need help with. I've done some searching but can't really find a clear tutorial on how to exactly set this up.

This is what I think I know...and please let me know what I'm off on.

I would have to have a separate odf for the factory, constructor and recycler named differently then the stock ones.

I think I would need to have a stock map copied and renamed and I would only be able to use these in that map.

I believe I have to do some changes to the some of the prefs files?

I'm not sure but I think it could be done by repacking a new pak file with the changed items.

So yea I've messed around with adding and creating items that I can test out in the editor (a couple of which so far I have to figure out why they don't work in PB4) but I've never tried testing things out with other people. Any links or any help is much appreciated.

Another question, what does "malformed odf" mean? Getting an error on one of my vehicles that when I try to test it in the editor, I just crash to desktop.

Thanks!

Dia

General BlackDragon

1.3 lets u add recycler varients.

You can setup the recy lists in the "recylist.txt" file, and send that and ur assets to ur friends. As long as no files are named the same as stock, it should work. You can also create a different map inf that points to a different recylist.txt file, so even that can be named differently from stock.

:)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Dianoga4

Do I have to create a recylist.txt? I can't find one in the BZ program folder anywhere so I am guessing yes?

GSH

You should be using the .autoreg files instead for recy variants.

-- GSH

Dianoga4

Oh geez now I'm really lost but thanks heh.

Edit: I see the autoreg files there and I've been looking at Steevo's recy variant mod. I should be able to learn something from there.

Dianoga4

Ok looks like I got the recycler variant thing going.

I have another question now though. I made a gun tower and when I try it in the editor it looks and works fine. When I get a constructor to build it though, it builds it half buried in the ground with only the top half sticking out of the ground? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Dia

AcneVulgaris

Ah...you've encountered the rare, burrowing gun tower.  They're very shy, you're lucky to have seen one at all.

Try setting out a bowl of powdered toast, and wait quietly.  Burrowing towers can't get enough Powdered Toast!

Dianoga4

heh, well I'll try that but I was hoping I could prevent them from doing it in the first place, thanks heh.

Dia

Steeveeo

Assuming its a custom model, Im guessing it has something with the dummyroot being too far up, but Im not a modeller, so someone else would be of more help.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

The scion gun-spire is elevated 2 points above ground when it is placed with the editor.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

GreenHeart

Quote from: bigbadbogie on August 01, 2008, 10:10:19 PM
The scion gun-spire is elevated 2 points above ground when it is placed with the editor.

That is because of the control panel room goes under terrain__h, eliminate that interior & the -2 elevation is gone. 
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

mrtwosheds

For non hovering, non terrain owning objects, the top level root of the model will usually determine its position relative to the ground.

Dianoga4

I fixed it now. It was that the center of the base of the model was half way up the base. I had fixed it before but I guess I must've forgot to save it or something. I went back in 3dmax and poof there it was staring me in the face heh.

Also thanks for the info on the recycler variants and autoreg. I got it working with customized building lists in a recycler, constructor and factory and was playing online multiplayer with a few friends. It's exactly what I was needing to know.

Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated.

Dia

Dianoga4

I have another question. With the recycler variant I'm doing, how do I get the enemy to use my mod in MPI? I mean I'd like to play as and fight against my units that I've created.

Thanks for any help!

Dia

Steeveeo

Quote from: Dianoga4 on August 08, 2008, 12:50:38 PM
I have another question. With the recycler variant I'm doing, how do I get the enemy to use my mod in MPI? I mean I'd like to play as and fight against my units that I've created.

Thanks for any help!

Dia
You'll have to create some AIPs that tell the AI to build your units.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.