• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

what do people think of this laptop for BZ2 gaming?

Started by TheJamsh, August 03, 2008, 05:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

Bit cheap for a lappy... (about 1000 dollars AU/US).

If you want a really good one you will probably have to pay around 1500 to 2000 pounds. Still, its definitely worth checking out.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

well it retails at that price if you can see, around 1000. but i dont have that money to spend.

my budgets about 600 quid max.

mrtwosheds

Laptops are not good for gaming.
The little keyboard & whatever mouse control, combined with typical game player activity, will damage your hands, arms, shoulders, spine...
You are probably young, and so will not pay heed to this. But the damage starts when you are young...

I have learned the hard way, the best investment in computer equipment is a good chair to sit in.

In the back of my car at the moment is an unused celeron pc, I pulled it out of a bin 1/2 an hour after a workmate threw it in.
No doubt its a bit hopeless at gaming, but if you live any where near welwyn in the UK and can collect, you can have it for free! :-o

TheJamsh

lol sorry i need a laptop because i cant fit a desktop in my house. we already have one, but i get very limited use on it.

simply put i need a laptop with full keypad, (ill buy a wireles mouse) good graphics performance and all the usual stuff that battlezone II needs to work like a dream...

technoid

If you're limited to a budget and space for a laptop, then go for it.  This should work well for pc gaming, at least with BZ2.  If constrained to the built-in smallish keyboard, then just hookup a fullsize keyboard to USB (or PS2 if there's a port) if possible.  Same thing goes for the screen, hookup an external monitor.  The technology specs of this laptop should work fine for you, not just for gaming but for whatever else.  I've been using my laptop (which is in repair though at the moment) for BZ2 testing, because it's all I have for now.  Its technology is from 2002, so I have to make do with that: Pentium IV 2.3GHz, 1GB DDR, ATI Radeon IGP.  It works, just not as good as a desktop... or an up-to-date laptop like this one.  Just observe the return policy should you feel it doesn't work for you after you've tried it.

GSH

Looks generally pretty good, though the nVidia graphics may have the "can't deal with sky detail set to high" issue.  Attaching an external USB keyboard and mouse may be the way to save your wrists.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

Whatever you do, don't get an Acer TravelMate 6292. Its chipset barely even lets you play bz2.

True I did get it through school and they probably removed its graphics card, but maybe not.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Zero Angel

I think its a fine laptop given the price. Its got discrete graphics (a separate graphics chip with its own memory) which is GREAT. 2GB of RAM is pretty basic for Vista though, you'll want more RAM definitely -- so go for the 4GB upgrade, you won't be sorry.

I can't speak for the laptop's quality (keyboard layout, sound, battery life, potential issues), but the specs look pretty good.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Russian Roulette

You have to remember, you wont be getting any advantage going for the full 4GB, because the computer runs on a 32bit OS, which means it can only go up to 3-3.5GB RAM, if you want over that then you have to go to a 64bit OS, its just how it works.

If your using a 32bit OS(Win XP in most cases), then you want to get 3-3.5Gb RAM and no more, because you don't want to be wasting your money on unused RAM.

If you want 4GB then look for a good 64bit OS, XP comes in 64bit aswell, but I don't recommend you going for vista.
You can always buy a mac,  the mac OS X is Linux based and you can run XP in a seperate boot from it, you can also run XP on a different desktop(look into ubuntu-linux and the apple.com web for more info on multiple desktops), the new mac OS X also uses RAM more efficiently than ms windows, and its really fun to work with.

These are just suggestions, you don't have to go with my word, research yourself.

Zero Angel

Unfortunately 95% of the new laptops on the market today carry only Vista, due to the fact that MS wants everyone to switch to Vista. You'd have to purchase XP seperately and install it.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

AcneVulgaris

I think BZ runs fine on pretty much anything you can buy now.  I was last playing it on a $500 dell vostro laptop, good performance, no problems.  It did have XP on it...I still haven't had any experience with Vista.  I think you can still order them with XP

bigbadbogie

Just go to a local computer shop, buy the thing and ask them to put XP on it. Not hard.

My BZ2 mods:

TheJamsh

thanks guys. appreciatte youre views...

the only drawback i can see is that graphics chip, i know the 8000 series have driver issues for BZII is that not true?

if anyone can find the early drivers for it that may support (is it directX6?) really well ill stick a deposit down stragith away lol!