• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

newbie bzn file question

Started by foxtrot, August 07, 2008, 02:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxtrot

What program do i use to open up and change things in this file?

Steeveeo

Notepad...if the map was saved in Ascii format.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

Binary ones look like rubbish code... ASCII can be edited in notepad.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Feared_1

Woah, wait. You can edit that file? All this time I didn't know that?

Quote from: Steeveeo on August 07, 2008, 02:04:54 AM
Notepad...if the map was saved in Ascii format.

How do you do THAT?

EDIT: Hmm, I just opened GroundI.bzn and it worked. That's quite stunning for me. :) I really had no idea you could edit that in Notepad.

shane ward

Watch what you edit, you could make the bzn file unplayable.. Best use the ingame editor.
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

AcneVulgaris

Oh what fun is that?  How can you really learn about something without breaking it?

bigbadbogie

You can only change small details before you break the file... be very careful.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

GreenHeart

In pb4a, the ascii format don't have any problems with spaces & is the best recommended format to use for online usage since its less likly to be corrupted.    When saving an old bzn file save under the same format it was already in to be sure nothing gets messed up.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

foxtrot

ascii format? i dont understand how to change these things in the file looks like some sort of alien language. :-D :?

lucky_foot

That means the file you opened is in binary.

Load your map in the BZeditor, hit the save button (not ctrl+S, but the button in the right hand side and choose ASCII. The next time you open it, it should not be in binary.)
Jonathan S.

foxtrot

Oops i forgot to mention i have battlezone 1 if that makes a difference :oops:.I loaded up bz editor in battlezone and the only thing i got was me in the tank with no buildings.

*huh*  snort...   wazzzat?

That woke me up...  :)   

BZ1 is a different animal as far as the BZN goes in that YOU don't have the option to save in Ascii format.  I wrote a utility that lets you tweak some things, called BZNEditor or "NED" for short, like ammo/hull/names/pilots/paths, things like that. 

Look for it on the BZ1 web sites, it's still around.

-Av-

foxtrot

I found bzneditor and i installed it and opened up bzn file i can't change things it says:Stock ODF's are not viewable as they are stored in compressed form within the game itself.  You may LOAD it if you have the ODFED copy. I tried the odf editor but nothing comes up.