• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

VOs and Thrusters

Started by Dianoga4, August 17, 2008, 12:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

If he makes it a mod he has greater control. He can actually separate all the companies and have a flag for each. But yes, just making ivrecy_dianoga would work (note to exclude the number as they cause issues and are tricky to explain). If you want to take a lot more control, like custom sounds and such, you will have to do a bit more work.

You MIGHT be able to use a P-race like set up by having ivrecy_dianoga deploy into pbrecy_dianoga, but I am not sure.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

QuoteYou MIGHT be able to use a P-race like set up by having ivrecy_dianoga deploy into pbrecy_dianoga, but I am not sure.
No that would not work.
If you want to make a new race you have to use the race name technique.
If all you want to do is modify the existing races a recy variant is the way to go.
You can change the voice overs by placing replacements in addon, as long as you make it clear to others that you are doing that (so they know to remove them) It would be easy to knock up a Homer Simpson-betty addon for example, you could supply this with your recy variant.

Nielk1

You sure 2Shed? There was something in place to make NSDF and CCA cafeterias cause the units to shift race cause of an upgraded rec and factory requiring said cafeteria so that stronger pilots would exist in some mod. If that was being done what I said would work? Try it?

Click on the image...

Dianoga4

So to change the voice overs like 2sheds says, I use that event odf and have sounds named the same as they are in that list that Jamsh posted? And I have to just let the people that are playing know this so if they want to play SP or something they have to remove them? Would the name of the odf just be "event.odf"?

Dia

bigbadbogie

They are race specific so it would be (for you) 'pevent.odf'.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Dianoga4

So for now, a recycler variant has to have the IV for the recycler but my units could be pv***.odf for example right? Then I create the pevent.odf and use voices in there? Sorry for all the questions but this one has baffled me for some reason.

Dia

Nielk1

I think making everything pv*** and pb*** except the 2 recycler VEHICLES (which are iv*** and fv*** but deploy into pb***) would work well.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

QuoteSo to change the voice overs like 2sheds says, I use that event odf and have sounds named the same as they are in that list that Jamsh posted
No.
This is getting confused.
You can just supply replacement sounds in addon (the game looks there first) If you put .wav files with the same names as the games .wav files into addon they will be played instead of the ones in the data.pak, not just for your stuff, for everything.

Example. get a wav of homer saying DOH!, rename it a betty4.wav, drop it into addon, mod or no mod, recvariant or not, every time a scav dies Homer says "DOH!"

But to use the pevent.odf technique you need to make a "new race"
youll need a pvrecy,pbrecy,pspilo,pvcons etc etc.

QuoteI think making everything pv*** and pb*** except the 2 recycler VEHICLES (which are iv*** and fv*** but deploy into pb***) would work well.
Why would you do that? you pick recycler race by selecting an iv/fv/pv ship.

QuoteSo for now, a recycler variant has to have the IV for the recycler
Iv or fv for isdf or scion recy variants. (you need both for a recy variant)

In the autoreg files only the IVrecys are specified. There is no need to specify other races.
if IVrecy_dianoga is specified in an autoreg, the game will look for *vrecy_dianoga (that is any vrecy_dianoga) it will automatically find pvrecy_dianoga IF it exists.

Nielk1

He only wants his new sounds on his new race, so, making ivrecy_dianoga and fvrecy_dianoga deploy into pbrecy_dianoga will allow him to do that. He would choose one of the existing start up units and not one specific to his race as he is making a rec variant rather than a full mod. A full mod would be a bit more complicated but would not require cross race trickery.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

This technique does re-present the potential for causing clashes with other mods, Assuming the rec variant was placed in addon and is always available as variants are intended, then the use of prefix p may well cause an installation of say fleshstorm to go horribly wrong...

Red Devil

That's why all mods should go into a pak file, with any custom maps and map inf files in a separate folder.  Nice and tidy.  :-)
What box???

TheJamsh

indeed its much better. and instead of moving loads of files if you dont want to play youre mod, you just remove a line in youre .cfg file. easy

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Dianoga4

Quote from: mrtwosheds on August 19, 2008, 01:33:03 PM
Example. get a wav of homer saying DOH!, rename it a betty4.wav, drop it into addon, mod or no mod, recvariant or not, every time a scav dies Homer says "DOH!"

I have been trying this and it doesn't work for me.

Also not sure what to do about the whole race thing. So far this has just been a fun little mod I was making to play with a few friends but I guess if I wanted to release it then I should probably consider this.

Dia

Nielk1

If you release it, give a bit more info on how you envision everything working and I could write up a DLL to handle non standard functions and toy with it till you like it. (This would be a separate mod from the first release in the end.)

Click on the image...