• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

to all board members

Started by TheJamsh, August 18, 2008, 04:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

We all have the same trouble of finding a perfect graphics card to run BZII and still support all the newer programs, therefore im using this thread for anyone (including myself) who needs a little help when choosing a new one.

its pointless me trying to explain what im going to do, so ill start. if as many people as possible could follow my lead in this id be quite pleased! why thankyou! this should also really help me when what to decide to get when buying a lappy

Average FPS in BZII       -           60 (highest graphics settings here please)

Graphics Card (memory)   -           nVidia GeForce 7500 LE (128mb)

Current Graphics Driver    -          ver. 7.15.11.7519

Processor (speed)           -          Intel Dual-Core E6400 CPU (2.13Ghz)

Operating System            -         Windows Vista Home Basic

Computer Type                -         Desktop

System RAM                    -         2048mb

Performance In Other Games:
- Runs lego rock raiders like a dream!
- nothing really to say, i only play/mod BZII

Performance In BZII:
- 60 FPS average, was maxed at 75 with different driver (which i know cant find :@ [DAMN WINDOWS UPDATE!])
- Support highest graphics settings reasonably well
- Occasional stutters
- 32 sound channels supported well

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

This is what is needed to play the new patch. this is dialog straight from the readme file for pb4a.

CPU:
Battlezone II v1.3pb4a now requires Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE), which were introduced with the Pentium III. AMD's Athlon XP (and newer) CPUs also support SSE. SSE provides some framerate boosts, and is now required
Graphics Card:
Battlezone II v1.3 requires a graphics card (or integrated video) that has DirectX/Direct3D 8.0 (or higher) drivers.
RAM:
Battlezone II's original box specs noted that it required 64MB RAM. However, Windows 2000/XP/Vista and the like require more memory than that as their base specs. You should add at least 64MB RAM to what the requirements for your version of Windows are (see Microsoft's website for exact details). Thus, 192MB is a practical minimum amount of RAM for Win2000/XP, though Windows itself will crawl on such a system -- 384-512MB will be better.
AUDIO:
BZ2 also requires a audio output device (sound card, motherboard audio, etc) that supports DirectX 8.x. 3D positional audio is supported, but not required.
Operating System, DirectX:
Windows 98 and up should work, though for best results, Windows 2000/XP/Vista are recommended. DirectX 8.0 or higher is also required.
Note: I don't believe any testing has been done with Windows95, and as MS has long-since discontinued support for it, it may not be the best choice of OSs anymore. If 1.3 works on Win95, great. If not, you may be out of luck. Windows 98/ME are also out of official Microsoft support -- see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/lifean18? . Some limited testing has been done with 1.3 on Win98/ME machines, but with no more critical updates released for them, you'll be at risk. BZ2 has now watched three MS operating systems get obsoleted, so you should consider upgrading Windows if you're not going to change your gameplay.
System Recommendations for this patch
Most testing and development of 1.3 has taken place on machines with at least a 500Mhz processor, 256MB ram, and a GeForce or better video card. This may be a good baseline; 1.5Ghz, 512MB ram, and a GeForce 2/Radeon 7200 or better might work even better. At least Windows 2000 is also recommended.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

TheJamsh

i just want higher FPS and performance, those are my specs, id appreciatte seeing what the rest of the community gets with their equipment.

Red Devil

If you want higher FPS, you need to turn off vSync in you video adapter.

Right-click on desktop, Properties, Settings tab, Advanced, and then poke around until you find it.
What box???

Steeveeo

Average FPS in BZII       -           612 FPS (earlygame), 175 (Lategame, lots of units and full base)

Graphics Card (memory)   -           nVidia Geforce 8800GT 512mb

Current Graphics Driver    -          ver. 6.14.11.6921

Processor (speed)           -          Intel Dual-Core E8400 (Wolfdale) CPU (3.0Ghz)

Operating System            -         Windows XP Home

Computer Type                -         Desktop (Gaming rig)

System RAM                    -         Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1024mb) 675mhz DDR2

Performance In Other Games:
- COD4, 1280x1024, highest, 140 FPS average.
- Crysis, 1024x768, high, 60 fps average.
- TrackMania Nations Forever, 1280x1024, highest, 140 FPS Average.

Performance In BZII:
- 394 FPS Overall Average.
- 1280x1024, highest, sans full sky detail due to nVidia Skydome Error.
- Smooth Gameplay.
- 60-62 total channels supported (depending on whether or not I have winamp running).
- I can turn shadows on full on Alien Dunes for a bit in Satellite View until the gun towers come up (and the graphical oddities).

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

GreenHeart

I'm not sure how this card would work on your pc but currently i'm using a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768mb with driver version 6.14.11.6375. So far I haven't run into any graphic problems with battlezone 2 unless i upgrade to the newer driver version. 
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

Axeminister

Gosh, i wish i had Steeveeo's rig.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

OvermindDL1

Remember, BZ2 is cpu bound, not video card bound like most games, it is old so most of the calculations are done on the CPU.  Basically, get the fastest per core cpu you can find (and do note that core2duo's are about the same speed per clocks speed a amd ones, but P4 are vastly slower per clock speed compared to the amd one's).  So maxing that and ram and such would give the best bonuses I would guess.  My fps was similar to Steeveeo's even back when my computer was a 2.2ghz athlon xp with a radeon 9700 pro video card and 2 gigs of ram.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

when i asked for my new laptop, i asked the shop to find the lappy with the fastest processor, 2-3gb of ram, and a geforce 7 series video card...

the laptop comes with the 8600GT though, but i f GH isnt having graphics problems ill go for that one

GreenHeart

I'm usually running Windows Xp pro & just because i haven't had any problems don't mean you won't.  As i recall Steeveeo else had an 8800 GT & had problems with graphics. according to those that had the graphic problem you should be able to avoid the graphic problem by turning down certain settings.
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

TheJamsh

yeh indeedy...

steeveeo, 612 FPS!!!! gah! my new lappy is goingto have AT LEAST 2.60 ghz or i wotn buy it! its not fair =[

Steeveeo

Quote from: TheJamsh on August 20, 2008, 03:23:04 PM
yeh indeedy...

steeveeo, 612 FPS!!!! gah! my new lappy is goingto have AT LEAST 2.60 ghz or i wotn buy it! its not fair =[
Heh, I thought I was only getting 250, but then I realized I limited it to that in Localprefs.ini so it wouldnt take up all my processor time, set to 999 I get 800 something right when I load, then 612 during the early buildings and a couple scouts. Otherwise it stays at 250 for most of the match.

VSMIT

GAK!

That's what a new proc will do for you...

I wish my comp was that fast...

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Steeveeo

Quote from: VSMIT on August 20, 2008, 09:19:37 PM
GAK!

That's what a new proc will do for you...

I wish my comp was that fast...

VSMIT.
I just wish your comp was faster than it is now. :P

TheJamsh

3.0ghz proccesor. lovely.

do you run it in high priority on one CPU or not?