• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The Devils Eye

Started by darkwarrior, February 06, 2008, 07:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

i mapped a long time ago, before i registered on this forum. i wasnt too bad though, although i tended to concentrate on 'key areas' like base zones and outposts. im a good key-area map maker, but its filling in the spaces in between with unique terrain thats the difficult part.

i also spend ages developing those key areas, get bored, then never finish the maps, i dont plan them, nout. actually im pretty pants arnt i!

point is, i never used to have trouble, but now its all escaped me.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

shane ward

Also.... I hate to say this but have you found the color button. There is another nice layer too. which  is for the color.

If you want, I can take a look at the map and might be able to layer and color it in about 1 hour ;) so you can see what it is like.

Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

mrtwosheds

Use OM's winter program, and don't overlap too many textures it looks bad on some graphics cards (like mine)

TheJamsh

im hoping to get maps as good-quality as spaces ZE maps. it will take a while, but ill learn the skills eventually. i guess the key is starting out with a good texture.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

mrtwosheds

Using one of the winter utilities, you can create the whole terrain using textures, for the height, color, and layers 0-3.
This gets most of the hard work done, in a fraction of the time it takes to do it in the editor, and if done carefully can produce great looking natural terrain maps. After that you manually perfect the base and path areas.
A simple texture is best for layer 0, this is the one those who play on low graphics settings will see everywhere. Layer 3 is the top one.
To start with just use one texture on each layer, this allows you to keep track of what is where and keeps things simple.

@ the registration process:

Would it be better to have a 'wild west' public board that everyone has access to, alongside the current boards that only 'vouched' for members have access to?

So new people could come, register, and see only that board until they prove they're not a spamming pr0nbot...   :)

-Av-

OvermindDL1

Personally I like asking questions rather that captcha's, such as "What is the square root of -1"?, so simple, a single character answer, but is very difficult for a computer to parse and spit out an answer to.  One other place I frequent uses that question exclusively (they have no other), no bots yet.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

VSMIT

That's a good idea, but what if someone wanted to register but didn't know the answer to that one?

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Nielk1

There is a phpbb3 mod I've been looking at which uses an image thingy.

Which images are Cats (If a person can't see the images normal CAPTCHAs wouldn't work either).

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Quote from: VSMIT on August 28, 2008, 03:51:52 PM
That's a good idea, but what if someone wanted to register but didn't know the answer to that one?
Then a quick google search would fix that, and if they did not know how to do that then I do not want them infecting my board. :P

Actually the image captches have been broken for a while now, including the ones about which picture to pick.  The ones that ask those types of questions I demonstrated above are about the only things that have been shown not to be easily hackable, especially if you have something generate them or have a large list, but it is usually better to create some site-specific ones, like for BZU, some simple questions about the game would be perfect.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey