• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Rotating a UV map after it had been placed on the object to exporting it.

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, August 27, 2008, 11:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dianoga4

I actually use more then one texture for models quite often. It's more of a habit now then anything but a game I was helping out with had a max texture size of 256X256 but you could use more then one texture to get more detail and make things look more crisp. So alot of the models that I was working with had a turret and base so I had one texture for the turret, one for the base. But like I said, it's probably more of a habit then anything but if I want to get more detail and not use one huge texture file then I just break it up into smaller ones.

The tank below actually has 4 or 5 different textures files for it not including the weapon which has it's own.

Dia

Quote from: mrtwosheds on August 29, 2008, 05:15:01 PM
Some of the stock models appear to be multi textured, like ibtcen. using more than one material
I'm not sure what the point of it is, Or wether I have ever seen its effect in game.
Threed tends to make a mess of this when saving xsi's.

mrtwosheds

Seems to be some confusion here.
Ibtcen does appear to use 2 materials with 2 different textures on the same frame-mesh. .xsi can do it but I'm not aware of any available programs that can be used to set this up, or if its actually worth doing in bz2.

Using more than one texture (on different frames) on a unit is quite normal, sometimes its the most efficient way if one texture is used on allot of different units.

Dianoga4

Ah yea, I guess there was some confusion there. I thought it was pretty normal to do that.

Dia

OvermindDL1

Do not forget that for each texture you put on a unit more then doubles its rendering time.  That is especially important in more modern games as well as video cards can push through tons of polygons, but there is a context switch when you change a texture to be drawn that stalls the pipeline.  In BZ2, both polys and number of textures would be very important.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey