• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 3

Started by Axeminister, September 01, 2008, 11:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CivBase

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 07, 2008, 12:48:14 AM
I've never seen any non-dos fps game yet that uses a spacebar as a fire of any sort, usually something like an action button (before that default changed to "e") or jump (that is the common spacebar now), what game are you referring to?
Marathon, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, I think Halo and Battlefield use it too... but I forget on those.

OvermindDL1

Change that "dos fps" to "dos-era fps" since I was referring to time period and not platform.

First of all, marathon is dos-era (very dos era), no mouse support first of all, and it was for Mac.
MoH is very standard, mouse look, click is fire, space is jump, etc...  Space most definitely does not fire (I just launched the game to check, been years).
Halo is again, very standard, mouse look, click is fire, space is jump, etc...  Space most definitely does not fire.
I know of no game called battlefield (and a quick google search proved fruitless, the name is too generic).  If however you are talking about the Battlefield series, all of the games in the series have identical basic controls, the oldest of which is Battlefield 1942, again, very standard, mouse look, click is fire, space is jump, etc...  Space most definitely does not fire.

So again, which non-dos era fps games do you shoot by hitting space?

And yes, OT now, especially since we now have an OT board too, moving.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

CivBase

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 08, 2008, 01:10:56 PM
Change that "dos fps" to "dos-era fps" since I was referring to time period and not platform.

First of all, marathon is dos-era (very dos era), no mouse support first of all, and it was for Mac.
MoH is very standard, mouse look, click is fire, space is jump, etc...  Space most definitely does not fire (I just launched the game to check, been years).
Halo is again, very standard, mouse look, click is fire, space is jump, etc...  Space most definitely does not fire.
I know of no game called battlefield (and a quick google search proved fruitless, the name is too generic).  If however you are talking about the Battlefield series, all of the games in the series have identical basic controls, the oldest of which is Battlefield 1942, again, very standard, mouse look, click is fire, space is jump, etc...  Space most definitely does not fire.

So again, which non-dos era fps games do you shoot by hitting space?

And yes, OT now, especially since we now have an OT board too, moving.

Seriously?  I swear I've played FPS games on the comp with space fire!  Oh well... and yah, I was refuring to the Battlefield series.
MoH doesn't have space fire?  Man... you sure?  maby I just got the keyboard prefs mixed up (I've had it forever and a half).
Oh well, you win. :roll:

sabrebattletank

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 03, 2008, 06:45:39 PM
I really do wish everyone was of an INTJ type, the world would be so much more efficient and enjoyable.  Guess I should make another topic...

Ummm...

I think it should be this.
QuoteI really do wish everyone were of an INTJ type
But I am not sure. Feedback plx.

Nielk1

was looks right, but when I think about it?

Click on the image...

Scout

Quote from: Red Devil on September 02, 2008, 12:54:52 PM
What makes a game? 

Engine?  no

Models?  yes

Weapons?  yes

Environment?  yes

Sounds?  yes

Story?  yes

VO's?  maybe

So what are we waiting for?

Oh yeah. Time.

fixed

OvermindDL1

So engine is not important?  Well, let's do it in the old doom engine, easy to make things in it. :)

(Not nitpicking the rest since it should be referencing BZ3 specific things).

mrtwosheds

I bet those 8 horizontal views plus animations of each monster were actually very hard to make.  :-D

CivBase

so........... I only kinda know what an engin is, can I haz a better description of it.  Alls I really know is that it is the basic foundation of the game, but I have no clue how it works.  Could you guys make your own?

OvermindDL1

The engine is the codebase that runs the logic, whereas the logic is the game specific code, the engine does everything else, from managing sounds, rendering everything, handling inputs, networking/multiplayer, etc... etc...

They are easy to make, very hard to make well, and always takes a lot of time.

CivBase

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 14, 2008, 04:21:42 PM
The engine is the codebase that runs the logic, whereas the logic is the game specific code, the engine does everything else, from managing sounds, rendering everything, handling inputs, networking/multiplayer, etc... etc...

They are easy to make, very hard to make well, and always takes a lot of time.

so how much time?  hours? days? weeks? years?

VSMIT

Think of it this way:  The engine for Infinity: The Quest for Earth was started in late 2004/early 2005.  It's still not finished yet.  But it is a much more sophisticated engine than most.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

OvermindDL1

Depends on complexity, how much of the code base you are taking from elsewhere, how many people are working on it, a ton of factors...

TheJamsh

arnt most engines modified from existing ones nowadays?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

Actually, recently (past 3 or so years), there has been a rather large amount of new engines from non-existing code-bases pop up; been rather surprising.