• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Large Hadron Collider, In france

Started by shane ward, September 06, 2008, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Nielk1 on September 10, 2008, 12:56:16 PM
I think I heard said black hole would be undetectable and would take about 500 or so years to have an effect and maybe a millennia before it has enough mass to actually rapidly destroy the planet.
As stated before, any black hole with even the mass of the earth would only exist for a micro-second, even with the mass of the sun it would only exist for a few minutes.  Second, if they were capable of creating mini black holes in that thing then we would be bombarded by mini black holes all the time as the particles that hit our atmosphere would be spawning them all the time.

Do not forget though, we are circling a black hole right now.  The center of our galaxy (and thought to be the center of most massive galaxies as well) has been proven to be a super-massive black hole.  We are beyond the wake though, being on one of the outer arms that is, so we would not get sucked in, in however many billions of years, instead we will fly out of the galaxy.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

bigbadbogie

Remember that yesterday was only a completely harmless one-way test run, they didn't actually collide anything yet.

I think that is scheduled for late October. So we have just over a month to smuggle a nuke into Switzerland and blow this baby to ashes before it kills the lot of us. (Assuming OM is wrong and the thing will actually create a huge black-hole).

Why couldn't they have waited 100 years and done it outside our solar system for gods sake?

It is very irresponsible to risk the entire planet just to recreate some tiny ancient particles.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

anomaly

Quote from: bigbadbogie on September 10, 2008, 04:56:43 PM
Why couldn't they have waited 100 years and done it outside our solar system for gods sake?

It is very irresponsible to risk the entire planet just to recreate some tiny ancient particles.

I'd probably be dead before then anyways.  I don't want to wait that long.

For science!

Feared_1

Particles are constantly smashing into eachother in nature. This thing is safe, we're all safe.

Have a look:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/09/080910-collider-success.html

CivBase

I'm religious, and because "no man shall know the end of the earth," so long as people keep predicting it's end, I feel safe

mrtwosheds

QuoteI think that is scheduled for late October. So we have just over a month to smuggle a nuke into Switzerland and blow this baby to ashes before it kills the lot of us. (Assuming OM is wrong and the thing will actually create a huge black-hole).

Probably because they are aware that there is no risk at all of this happening.
There have been quite a few theory's about "black holes" since they were first observed, many of them are just total fantasy, I do wish we could loose the "hole" part of the name it is very misleading.

VSMIT

Yeah, it's not much of a hole, more of a well.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

mrtwosheds

Far more likely to be extremely solid.

Warfreak

They hope to find out about anti-matter and dark matter with an atom smasher / atom collider? Someone care to elaborate?

Nielk1

I used to think they were breaking protons apart, then I though what they are doing is smashing them together so they can become energy and form into a new particle.

EDIT:
Changed fact like 2nd statement that was wrong.
Turns out it was the first.
OPS.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

...And hoping that this new particle won't melt the whole universe.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

OvermindDL1

Not form into a new particle, they are smashing protons and other things to break them apart to release the particles that make up those bigger particles like protons.

And no, they will not 'melt the universe' according to any known established theory.  But thinking along those lines, enjoy this story.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

bigbadbogie

Lol!! .. .. what can I say..??

Whoops.

My BZ2 mods:

BS-er

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 10, 2008, 04:44:36 PM
Do not forget though, we are circling a black hole right now.  The center of our galaxy (and thought to be the center of most massive galaxies as well) has been proven to be a super-massive black hole.  We are beyond the wake though, being on one of the outer arms that is, so we would not get sucked in, in however many billions of years, instead we will fly out of the galaxy.

Well the Andomeda galaxy is headed or way, with an even bigger supermassive black hole.  We stand a chance of being flung toward the center of our galaxy when our galaxies merge.  Wouldn't that be fun ;).

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods: