• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

KLAGSPY GameSpy Replacement Now Available

Started by Ego - Nikolas, September 20, 2008, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ego - Nikolas

KLAGSPY GameSpy Replacement Now Available
For those who whant to play game..
And that works for all versions 1.0 to 1.3xxx

News:

http://www.bz2maps.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2566

and tech support:

http://www.bz2maps.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2567

OvermindDL1

The gamespy protocol seems to be well documented from a quick google search.  Would it not have just been far easier to replicate a BZ2 specific GS server and let people redirect it to your server (hosts file redirect if BZ2 1.2 and earlier, change the ini file in 1.3+)?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Why do I think that OM could have done what he said quicker than he could type what he said?

What DID he say, anyway?  :)

lol...

-Av-

AcneVulgaris

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 21, 2008, 05:38:02 AM
The gamespy protocol seems to be well documented from a quick google search.  Would it not have just been far easier to replicate a BZ2 specific GS server and let people redirect it to your server (hosts file redirect if BZ2 1.2 and earlier, change the ini file in 1.3+)?

His has a couple of advantages...you can use your computer for other things while watching for games, and people don't have to mess with system files to set it up.

Maybe he could be talked into implementing the gamespy protocol as well, and also act as a proxy the gamespy server.  That way nobody would get left behind, at least for as long as the gamespy server stays up.

OvermindDL1

I found the protocol details with my first search on the first page, it really was very easy for someone to do it.  Heck, could probably whip it up in Python as a network reactor in a few minutes, the part BZ2 uses is pretty small and easy, and from the looks of it I did not see encryption of any form (BZ2 uses the GS1, not GS2 protocol for anyone who looks).  Would be very easy in Erlang too, especially since the languages native pattern matching could match the packets directly.  The only part that would take time is to see the format and type of data BZ2 would use for the key/value pairs, and a quick packet dump to a working gamespy server would show that.

For note, the Gamespy client would do the same thing as his, and have far more features as well as actually being able to launch BZ2 (NOT EVERYONE HAS A FREAKING C DRIVE... sorry, that bugs me... I do not have a C drive, I have D through U, F is the windows drive, G is the boot drive, BZ2 is on R, do not assume things), not that that thing would ever touch 'my' desktop. :P

Ego - Nikolas

It will be eazyer to make small pach for bz2 to adress diferent ip instead using gamespy's ip.
It will run as normal usings ingame lists.

OvermindDL1

As I said earlier, 1.3+ you can set the gamespy server address, so if anyone makes something that conforms to that protocol it is easy to redirect.  For 1.2- people would need to change their hosts file or setup a DNS entry if they are running a DNS server, or just release a new exe of whatever version that is hex-edited for the new address.