• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

for .dll wizards (cough overmind). who have time (uncough overmind)

Started by TheJamsh, September 22, 2008, 08:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Any chance of re-writing/editing the BZ2 scriptor program to include the new 1.3 features?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

OvermindDL1

Would be easy to update the dll's it uses to VM the bytecode as that source is available.  I have not, however, seen the source for the compiler part, and that part also needs to be updated.  Updating the DLL would probably only take an hour or so, the program/compiler itself (the interface where you make the code) would involve adding new mappings to the bytecode, documentation, etc...  Would need that too first.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

Yeh im sure he has everything... If youve got the time to do something like that OM would be great...

I wonder if you can put some of the stuff nielk1 has been working towards in there as well? Although i dont know if thats even possible.

OvermindDL1

You all do know my scriptor supports all the new features and such too, as well as having multiplayer support...  I have uninstalled the necessary libraries from my computer (well updated them to newer versions that are built with different settings then what I need) so I cannot make a new one right now if it is necessary (and since no one has used it I saw no point on working on it to make it more 'pretty' in the interface, it was just something for my to learn python internals anyway, and that was successful).  If people were interested in it I could rebuild the libraries and get it to working order again...

Quote from: TheJamsh on September 26, 2008, 08:42:05 AMI wonder if you can put some of the stuff nielk1 has been working towards in there as well? Although i dont know if thats even possible.
Yes, it is possible.  Would just need to be rewritten into the scriptors bytecode style.

If you want BS-er's scriptor updated, ask BS-er, you can talk to him on his forums. :P
If he releases the source code, but is otherwise unwilling to update it himself then I could do it.

bigbadbogie

I think the reason that nobody used your python scriptor is that nobody knows python. I don't want to seem unappreciative, but you probably should have made sure that enough modders knew python before making the scriptor.

The bz2 dll scriptor is what everybody is using for sp missions (simply because it is simple). I will ask BS-er about it over at MAD forums.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

OvermindDL1

Nobody knew BSer's scriptor at first either.
Heck, the Python one is easier, you can do a heck of a lot more in a lot less code.  BSer's is kind of like assembler, very wordy, one operation at a time, etc...

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

TheJamsh

lol i bet if you cut open OM's brain a load of python/C++ and various other fancy codes would come streaming out haha.

i guess i could take some time to learn python, but gah. itll take me a while. ive never really had the type of brain for learning things like that.

i only found the BZ2 scriptor so easy because i was programming PIC chips in my electronics class. it was the same idea really, routines that operate one at a time.

OvermindDL1

Meh, pure C++ here, I only use Python as a glue language. :P

Hopefully my OLang language becomes my main one when I am done with it. :)

The truth of it is that BS-er's was first, is VERY well documented with a help file right next to you as you code, is simple enough for non-coders to pick up quickly, with the last partially due to the existence of tons of example code chunks out there for anyone to look at.

No matter how brilliant or powerful any other scripting utility is unless it takes the extra step of being VERY user friendly there's little hope of something else being used for BZ2 non-MP scripting, especially since this community is very small and most of the current mission makers are already using BS-er's Scriptor or straight C++.

I'm the first to acknowledge OM's brilliance but sometimes the last to understand him.  This is the gap that needs to be bridged in order for the rest of us to embrace whatever the Bane it is he's talking about most of the time.

In short, I need an "OM PLUGIN" for Firefox.   :lol:

-Av-

Sonic

I still find the Scripter to be the best utility to code single player missions. I could probably go with python scripting or even go to lenghts to actually code a C++ DLL, but in reality, most of the stuff I want to do in a SP mission is doable with little effort in the DLL Scripter. If there is anything particularly hard or so redundantly used I could easily take the DLL Source Code of the scriptor and modify it as such so it includes a built in function. The FE Portals for example are built into the DLL through C++, hence why you didn't need to setup an array of scriptor code to define, monitor and control the portals.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."