• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

MBTI

Started by OvermindDL1, October 07, 2008, 10:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

"Myer-Briggs Type Indicator" is an 'updated' version of the original Jung 3-trait test (MBTI uses 4-traits).  Not everyone in the type traits community agrees with the fourth trait being added, but it has been shown to be quite accurate regardless.  MBTI reads more into how someone thinks, rather then how they act, so someone can be a completely different type then what they may appear (for example, I am very INTJ, near 100% on all traits, I also act that way pretty well here, but in RL I tend to become more like the people around me, termed the INTJ camouflage on the popular INTJ forums).  There was another derivative of the original Jung tests that were put out by Keirsey.  Keirsey is very much like the MBTI, but it focuses more how on someone acts externally, rather then how they think.  Most tests now are just generic "Jung" tests that test for both MBTI and Keirsey in the same test.  Also, Myer-Briggs did adamantly state that the types will be most accurate when all the strengths are at or near 100%, but it will still not explain for certain how someone thinks, just how they do in general (although everyone in RL that I have given the test to, about 15 people so far, it has all been very accurate to them).

First of all, I will talk just about MBTI here since you can usually get someones Keirsey type from the MBTI type (they are synonymous, not *always*, but usually), as well as MBTI tends to be far more researched.  A persons MBTI type is made up of four unique letters, E/I, N/S, T/F, and P/J, and this order is usually kept, but not strictly required.  A person will, for example, be either an E or an I, and there will be an associated strength (which the test also gives).  If the strength was, say, 1% then they would be pretty evenly split between E and I, so if their test said ENFP, but the E was 1%, and the other three were above 1%, then their 'main' type would be ENFP, but their secondary type would be INFP, and you could look at both profiles to pretty well explain the basic thinking processes of the person, so when someone posts their type, you also need to know the strength of each trait to be able to know the full types since they may be a combination of many types.

As stated in another thread this is one of the most accurate tests that I have found.  It is the free version given by a company that also does them for businesses (I first encountered MBTI at a job interview many years ago).  The Myer-Briggs people only claimed roughly 75% accuracy on the testing back in the '70s, but in the current day the test has been shown to be roughly 95% accurate now (it got refined over time).  If you take the test you should post up your type and the percentages of each trait in this thread, I can add them to the bottom of this first post as I notice them.

There are no bad types, no good types, no right questions, no wrong questions.  On the test, answer as truthfully as possible (according to how you think, not how you act), if either Yes or No answer is correct in different circumstances, either go with your first instinct, or go with what is more general (you can leave an answer blank, but it makes the test more inaccurate, as it is no considered 'either', it is considered a no-answer, so do try to give an answer for every question).

The traits, when considered individually, do not tell the whole picture (anywhere near actually), but just have quick one-off descriptions.  To really understand a whole type you need to know all four letters and how they interact with each other.  The quick descriptions though are:

I/E = Introverted or Extroverted.
This is not a ranking of how someone acts (someone who is an I can be a *very* outgoing person), but rather a statement on how they 'recharge'.  Introverted types can be very outgoing or not, but regardless they need to be by themselves for some periods in order to recharge.  If around people for too long it is quite literally draining.  Extroverted types need to be in groups in order to recharge, they become drained when by themselves.

N/S = iNtuition or Sensing.
This is how the person 'absorbs' outside information.  Sensing types tend to rely less on what they know, and try to understand a situation more by seeing what is actually going on.  iNtuition types tend to rely on past experiences and trying to understand the deeper meaning behind something, rather then just what is happening on the surface.

T/F = Thinking or Feeling.
The basic measure of what most affects the type decisions.  Someone who is a thinker may still be very emotional, but would not let their emotions cloud what they do, where a feeler tends to be driven more by their emotions, rather then what is logical (most people are feelers)

P/J = Perceiving or Judging.
This is the trait added by MBTI to the Jung version.  It itself does not really mean anything, but it effects the previous two types (N/S and T/F) by refining whether they focus more externally or internally.  For example, as an INTJ, because of the J, by dominate trait is N, and my primary is I, so it is an introverted intuition, meaning I focus more on 'thought' intution, rather then what is happening externally, and that also causes my thinking trait to be extroverted, and the extroverted thinker is the one who tries to make reality what they are thinking, rather then just thinking about it.  That then goes on to mean my third type is introverted feeling, meaning that when feelings do affect my decisions then it is based upon how I think feelings may best be addressed, rather then on what others think (meaning if a feeling affected my decision on something, then it would be based on what *I* think is right, not necessarily what someone else thinks is right, kind of like the question "A man, who was laid off from a job, steals some food for his starving family, but is caught, was he wrong in attempting to steal instead of using some other method, or was he right in that he was trying to have his family survive", as this is a very emotionally charged question, but when I 'think' about it, it becomes obvious there are other ways for him to get food, such as shelters and food drives and such, there was no need for him to steal, so I think he was wrong).  And that means my fourth trait is extroverted sensing, this is the part that causes me to 'sweat the details' at few times, as one of the profiles puts it, as I worry about how a detail about something should best be implemented, instead of just going straight for it, regardless of how good or bad a it may be, problem is, when I worry about the details too much it tends to slow me down, so I have been trying to work on this a bit (although I like noticing how best to implement a detail, even I have to admit I go overboard at times, so I am trying not to deal with this so much so as to help speed me up).

Look at next post, this is getting too long and will probably hit the word limit soon.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

OvermindDL1

As stated before, I am an INTJ.  INTJs are the second most rare type, making up only about 1% of the population (~1.5% to 2% in males, and roughly 0.5% in females).  Since INTJs are so rare, they tend to get overwhelmed in the usual MBTI forums, so they made their own (although plenty of other types go there as well, usually to ask questions about INTJs, but everyone profile has their MBTI type, it appears under their avatar in all of their posts so you know who is what).  The profiles you get when you Google for INTJ tend to be short and simple, if you want to know more (or you are just bored), the INTJ forum tends to be filled with information with INTJs (and other types putting in some notes) discussing just about every option about everything (almost like watching a train-wreck in some cases).

Zero Angel also stated he is an INFJ (although I do not know what the strength of each type is, perhaps he could elaborate :) ).  INFJs are the most rare of all the types (making up less then 1% of the total population), basically because their traits are the most contradictory with each other.  As such, most INFJs have an odd ability to understand people in such unique ways as only INTJs can usually understand objects, they usually make some of the best counselors.

And do note, most of these types have been discussed in large detail on the above linked INTJ Forum (INTJs tend to get into utter details from a thousand different directions about something, so the INTJ Forum can actually be one of the best places to find more details on all the types beyond what you can google).

TheJamsh

im not entirely sure what this post is about, but it seems a character thing...

at first glance, im a very confusing person :lol:

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Sonic

I'm an INTJ myself, known as a Mastermind.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

CmptrWz

I am also an INTJ, although I don't have my percentages handy. On the other hand, depending on the test (and how long I give myself, or have available in general, to take it) my percentages have been known to vary greatly. In high school they gave me 4 different tests at one point, all came up INTJ, but the percentages fluctuated.

Maybe the contents of my stomach affects my percentages or something.

OvermindDL1

People can change over the course of their life, and in general ones type is not set until the reach early to mid 20's anyway (although most become pretty set by the teenage years).  Either way, yes, people do answer slightly differently depending on how they are at the moment.

lucky_foot

I just took it. I'm an INFJ.

The analysis was:

# distinctively expressed introvert
# moderately expressed intuitive personality
# slightly expressed feeling personality
# moderately expressed judging personality

<raised eyebrow> Fascinating
Jonathan S.

OvermindDL1

What numerical percentages were you?

Raven

INTJ

# moderately expressed introvert
# slightly expressed intuitive personality
# moderately expressed thinking personality

As for percentages I closed it... but the 1st they were all around the 30% mark.

I'll take it again and post

EDIT:

Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted   - 44
Intuitive - 12
Thinking - 50
Judging - 56

# moderately expressed introvert
# slightly expressed intuitive personality
# moderately expressed thinking personality

Lol introvert...

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

I was classed as an ISFP (Composer).

Sorry, closed the tab by accident and my UndoCloseTab extension doesnt work right, going back to it in the History pane gives an error, so...yeah..no specific numbers.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

OvermindDL1

Remember, that "Introverted" part is just how you 'recharge'.  Some like to recharge by being around people, others need to recharge by being by themselves.  That has nothing to do with how outgoing you are. :P

General BlackDragon

Where do you go to take this test?

*****General BlackDragon*****

Angstromicus

I      N       T      J
33   88   25   44

I took the test here, but there were other sites on the result list, too:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes3.asp

An alternative (albeit, far shallower test): http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Feared_1

72 questions... they're all so difficult to answer. I'll come back in a second with the results for me...

Here...

Introverted: 22%
Intuitive: 62%
Feeling: 25%
Judging: 11%

For some reason it doesn't look very accurate to me. :P