• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Race-specific Pods

Started by Red Devil, January 02, 2008, 03:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtwosheds

The relics have transparency's in them, it would cause a performance issue when commanders pile up the pods at the recy. My dst wave effect idea would also look very bad in this situation, it would be ok for weapon crates though.

Red Devil

Anybody have Race-specific crates, like Cerberi and Hadean Cannon/Gun/Rocket crates?
What box???

Zero Angel

Agree with 2 sheds. Pod stacking is almost a certainty in a human vs human strat game. If 4 tanks go out fighting (near dead tank with no ammo takes 4 pods), and all return to base needing 3 pods each then you need 12 pods to service the team quickly. Lots of *good* commanders will just keep building pods at every moment the rec is not building something else, and there can be up to 20 pods stacked at the rec. The pods single light emit can even cause some massive FPS lag when you get close to it.

So on an MPI it might be OK, but if the single pods are more resource intensive on strat then making them too flashy is not recommended since commanders will stack pods to give the greatest time advantage to their team (5 seconds rec time vs 15 seconds waiting on bay time (single-file)).
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Red Devil

I got rid of the bright lights on the pods in 1.3.  Now they just glow instead of light up the surrounding area.  Thinking of making them not all meld with one another.
What box???

Zero Angel

Well, the light emit on the pod itself isnt such a big deal. Its more like the 'texture' used to show the lense flare caused by the light emit. Like you know how some alpha-textures like smoke slow down the FPS when you get close to them, I think the 10+ lenseflares are what cause the FPS hits, not the lighting itself.

I think the problem has been already fixed in 1.3 by how it culls certain textures when they're too close to the viewer.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

mrtwosheds

QuoteThinking of making them not all meld with one another.
What so they collide and scatter all over the rec?  :-D

An idea for another game, smart pods, they power up your team, and blow up the other team, I hate pod thieves!

Pods can cause lag???  Lol...   goes to show you no detail is too small.

Would it harm anything to equip MP play with a non-glowing, non-transparent pod?  That is, should that be the style of pod for MP play?    Nobody uses the light to guide their smoking wreck of a ship to a pod?  :)

'Cause, you know, we can do that.  :)   RD, get right on that...

I also noticed once that stock Pods are double sided as they're being built, meaning there's texturing on the inside.  This shouldn't be...

Oh, I LOVE that idea of the booby-trapped pods...  I mean, I believe they can be set to be team or race specific, but blowing up on an enemy?  Awesome...   :)

-Av-

Red Devil

That's the way they are now.  They don't so much glow; more like just colored instead of lighting up the area around it.  That way, you have to learn where they are and what they are instead of shining a flashlight on them saying, "Over here!".  Looks much better too.
What box???

Zero Angel

Hmm, exploding pods huh? Well, this would be useful for those pesky enemy players who like to nick pods from OUR rec after a dogfight. Heals -500 damage, hehe.

On a more serious note, how about being able to build a mine from the rec? Or even a weaponmine? Hmmm (has evil modding-related plan)
{bac}Zero Angel

mrtwosheds

Hmm yes you could just have in the strat recy list a Pod Bomb, looks just like a pod but is in fact a proximity mine with a small damage radius to avoid killing pilots.  :evil:

Zero Angel

Or how about a giant pod which fires smaller pod shaped ordnances?  :-D
{bac}Zero Angel

TheJamsh

anyone have any of these pods they could send me for serenesis mod... seeing as realism is a high feature i sort of would like them lol

thanks for any help

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.