• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Transparent cockpits: How are they done?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, October 23, 2008, 10:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I'm trying to add them them to my units, but is it done by setting the opacity of the texture? Does the game engine set this by reading the cockpit object, and then converting the object as transparency? How do I get my cockpits to look like the stock unit transparent cockpits? Tanks...BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

Opacity as material setting or mesh setting. I use REFLECTION3.PIC with some blackish material settings and some slight transparency myself.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

the stock models dont have any transparency i dont think, they are instead textured with 'glare.pic', which is just a black texture with some fake (and unconvincing) glare marks. personally i prefer them over transparent ones.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

The ISDF mortar bike has a transparent cockpit for sure. I think they all do.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

Thats because of a graphics glitch, something to do with eyepoint being inside model.

*****General BlackDragon*****

VSMIT

It's usually hard to tell because they're usually so thin on the body (i.e.: the Sabre).  Apparently, it does have some transparency, but it's so close to the body that it's almost impossible to tell.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Nielk1

Quote from: General BlackDragon on October 23, 2008, 12:55:37 PM
Thats because of a graphics glitch, something to do with eyepoint being inside model.

It can't be since when in First Person the unit is not drawn at all. It had to be specially coded so another unit's target cam will show your vehicle if you are in first person. (In 1.2 you are still missing.)

Click on the image...

Whoa...hold on...

If you make an object transparent by using the opacity of the material you end up with it being white under the 'no lights' setting.

If you use an Alpha Channel to make something transparent you keep the transparency under the 'no lights' setting.

You can also make something semi-transparent by using the 'glass' modifier on the name (myobject__g), which can do cool things to various materials.  :)

Finally, you can make something transparent with an alpha channel AND also define the object as 2 sided (myobject__2).  If you're really brave toss in the glass modifier also (myobject__2g).

Warning:  You can cause quite a framerate hit by having one transparent object behind another...  I have a 'lag cannon' that can bring even powerful computers to their knees when my ship morphs...  :evil:

-Av-

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

Lag cannon? *raises eyebrow*

So this is what Avatar has been up to is it? All this *talk* of BZC and now the truth comes out.  :lol:
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

I never knew about __g, if I set opacity at the mesh object level I don't have the light issue.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Only if it is absolute 0. It happens during lightning strikes too.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Nielk1

Oh good, I never use absolute zero except for things that are already __h

BTW, BBB, your the one who gave me the idea to use REFLECTION3.PIC after I looked at your QF Tower thing.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

BNG Da BZ Fool

Cool, I noticed the __2g thingy on the ISDF terminal object as I'm currently making my own recycler variant as I now have quite a few units that need a home now. I think I've finally begun to overcome my fear of making stuff. I guess it won't be too much longer before I have enough assets to make a completely new race of BZII freedom fighters. Dam shame that animations are out of my reach for now, but it sounds like even without them I can still make most of the units. Has anybody ever gotten a non animated walker type to work in the game? Will it still some how move to engage targets, or is animation the only way to get a walker to function in-game? 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.