• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hope for older games like BZ...

Started by † Trinity †, October 24, 2008, 08:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

I already picture myself building a PC just for BZ2 in the future.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

i will do the same thing probably. that is, if computers still run off electricity :)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

That's about it...

Although I think 2020 is a bit further in the future than it will take.

I've already got a Pentium sitting here basically to run BZ1, mostly for BZC development but also because I still miss Win98...  :)

-Av-

(that is, until the hardware gets powerful enough to run BZ2 in a browser window... lol...)

† Trinity †

Quote from: Dx on October 28, 2008, 08:07:46 PM
I asked for permission from Activision, Atari and Team Evolve for the work i did on Bz Enhanced.

So what would BZE be considered... liberated or is it technically still in the abandonware domain (ie they don't care)?

If BZE included a text file indicating that it is licensed for non-commercial redistribution I could make it known to about 20K gamers who might be willing to give it a try.

He said he asked...

What did they reply?

:-P

-Av-

† Trinity †

Atari just had to be an ass.

Curious though.. what exactly did you ask Atari? Perhaps if approached by GOG, or from another perspective in your case, would they liberate BZ?

† Trinity †

I wonder if Atari would buy off on this?

QuoteTHE COMPUTER CODE THAT COMPRISES THE WORK CALLED BATTLEZONE IS THE SOLE PROPERTY OF ATARI CORPORATION. ATARI, IN ALLOWING THE NON COMMERCIAL REDISTRBUTION OF THIS THE CODE TO END-USERS, AND SUBJECT TO ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS HEREIN, GRANTS A ROYALTY-FREE, PERPETUAL LICENSE TO SUCH END-USERS FOR USE BY SUCH END-USERS IN USING, DISPLAYING, AND CREATING DERIVATIVE WORKS THEREOF, SO LONG AS SUCH USE, DISPLAY OR CREATION IS FOR NON-COMMERCIAL, ROYALTY OR REVENUE FREE PURPOSES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE END-USER USE THE COMPUTER CODE CONTAINED HEREIN FOR REVENUE-BEARING PURPOSES. THE END-USER UNDERSTANDS AND AGREES TO THE TERMS HEREIN AND ACCEPTS THE SAME BY INSTALLING ANY AND ALL WORKS OF THE CODE.

THE BATTLEZONE CODE IS PROVIDED AS IS WITH NO WARRANTY FOR ITS SUITABILITY FOR USE.

ANY USE OF THE CODE MUST INCLUDE A CLEARLY VISIBLE CREDIT TO ATARI AS THE OWNERS, AND REITERATION OF THIS LICENSE.

If not then something like this might work.

http://liberatedgames.org/licenses/Relic_Entertainment_End_User_License_Agreement.txt

GSH

Atari may own the name Battlezone, but the code & data (assets -- textures, models, sounds, etc) are owned by Activision. It's even more fun for BZ2, where Pandemic is now part of Electronic Arts (EA), so there's three publishers involved.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

Quote from: GSH on October 30, 2008, 11:13:17 AM
It's even more fun for BZ2, where Pandemic is now part of Electronic Arts (EA), so there's three publishers involved.

-- GSH

haha :)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

These are nice cases where I wish things used OpenGL, as, guess what, Video cards have full support for all the old OpenGL stuff. :P

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Well, as I said, eventually the changes in hardware and OS's will kill anything currently in use.  While it can be fun, rewarding, challenging, frustrating, and even harmful to your health to keep an old game running eventually it becomes impossible.  This is not only because of the hardware/code changes, but also because of the aged gameplay itself.  IOW even if you keep it running few people will be content actually playing the original console PONG now that so many much cooler games are around...

The TRUE hope for old games lies in the same fans that go through so much trouble to keep them running...  only they need to move them to new engines and new hardware rather than just try to keep the original going.  At some point you can't update anymore, you need to start over.

Luckily this is getting easier with each new generation of engines and coding platforms. (IOW I think even I could code up PONG in VC++)...   :)

-Av-

squirrelof09

QuoteIf you go back to the start of the computer gaming business, which might be too far back for most people Smiley , you run into a lot of 'companies' that were just a couple of guys in their garage.  Times were simple and, like a lot of garage bands, getting clear title to old works can be virtually impossible.  That's why some movies from the 80's aren't going to DVD, because getting the sound track signed off by dozens of companies that hold copyright on the various songs in the movie is virtually impossible, or would cost more than the profits from the DVD, or is all tied up in multiple parties claiming ownership

Stated a couple posts back....

Yahoo.com is a good example of that.
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Dx on October 30, 2008, 08:50:00 PM
Ok OM, put the Ogre open gl in Bz for me. ;) Oh and raknet. hehe
If I had the source, and most importantly, a lot of time, certainly. :P

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

OM needs some more tag lines, I think I've read all of the current ones...  :)

-Av-

Axeminister

I didn't want to start a new topic for this, but PCGamer gave this game some love in their feedback "letters" section in the newest copy. Someone wrote in named Deathypoo and they published his letter. With a pic of a tank saying it was a shooter and a looter with a hightech scooter. LOL
There is no knowledge that is not power.