• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

My Computer Locks Up When I try to enter a multiplayer game.

Started by hybirdisdf, October 12, 2008, 08:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axeminister

Avatar is right. make sure you have checked "allow" bzone.exe to get on the internet with your firewall. Or else when you click join your firewall will be asking you if it's alright to "allow" bzone.exe to join the internet behind the game and you won't see it. Do this before playing any new install.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Feared_1

The firewall shouldn't cause the flickering, though. It sort of reminds me of having terrain and water at the exact same height in the editor, where the game tries to decide which one should be displayed.

Does this happen on any other patches (1.1, 1.3PB4a)?
Have you tried lowering your graphical settings in the options menu?
In single player, are you allowed to enter the game, or is it just Multiplayer?
Does the same flickering effect occur in game?

If the freezing/flickering just started within the month (you said the flickering was an old problem, so it's probably your graphics card that needs updating), then try to think of things that you downloaded or updated (HINT: FIREWALL) that might have caused the problem. Or, like Steeveeo already said, do that thing that fixes most of life's problems: reinstall.

@Steeveeo: Nevertheless, I don't think he quoted his own text on purpose. My point was still valid. :)

GSH

As firewall apps are annoying in their popups, etc, I really recommend running windowed (hit alt-enter on the login screen) before you try to play MP for the first few times.

-- GSH

hybirdisdf

Hey ppl,Im back online today.First of all,I played fe on instant map and i see no blinking or froze then moved up to mpi game.Im fine today.Oh What a strange day on computer!I didnt fixed it!!! Somebody wand the magic on screen and pooooof it is perfect. :-D

Angstromicus

Excellent :-D. Be sure to come back for more help if any more issues arise!

cheesepuffly

If your computer is too old to run bz2, lol, thats... really really old.

Maybe just restarting enough did the trick.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

hybirdisdf

I was playing fe instant game today and then go over mpi game.Still good so far no blinking or froze but after two games,there it goes again! I figure out i might play limit two games.Oh well. :| Um,I will try play again on saturday nite around 8pm est.See you guys in game perhap strat.

Angstromicus

Does restarting battlezone 2 fix the problem?

If the problem occurs again, restart bzII and immediately launch it again and see if the errors happen again. Perhaps something in your computer is overheating.

If anything is overheating it probably is the video card. Check its temperature with a free program you find with an internet search if you don't already have one.

hybirdisdf

Quote from: Total Oblivion Omnis on October 21, 2008, 08:12:29 PM
Does restarting battlezone 2 fix the problem?

If the problem occurs again, restart bzII and immediately launch it again and see if the errors happen again. Perhaps something in your computer is overheating.

If anything is overheating it probably is the video card. Check its temperature with a free program you find with an internet search if you don't already have one.

No,Its not either heat oe restart. I believe trouble is somewhere in video card.

One more word about Firewalls...

I just switched to AT&T Uverse from plain AT&T DSL.  The Gateway (giant modem/router) that comes with it has a built in Firewall that's fairly complex.  I had to make a profile to get my Torrent client to work properly although it did work, just not at full speed.  For example I was getting ~54k downloads before opening the correct ports, and ~256k afterwards.

Firewalls be funny animals...  :)

So make sure that whatever you're running you've got everything set up to forward/allow the proper programs and ports, because even though things are working they may not be working full speed.

-Av-

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

bigbadbogie

Or because they have a 2kbps satelite connection in the middle of China.  :-P
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Angstromicus

I see a rather wonderful discussion on USA broadband inferiority starting :D! Perhaps it would be best that is be moved to the Overdrive Terminal so that it does not throw this topic off course.

:New topic location: