• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Started by Power Board, October 28, 2008, 12:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on November 02, 2008, 02:15:27 PM
So... what was that thing and who was it?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

I was never giving the details. You will have to ask CmptrWz that.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

Launch

Quote from: Steeveeo on November 02, 2008, 01:07:20 PM
BZ1 1.4 links are somehow considered warez by Cmptrwz's host because they contain a noCD method of loading. The last person who posted a link to it caused some dipwad to complain to this forum's host provider and ALMOST got this site shut down. The poster was banned and the post deleted.

So yeah, dont do that :P

(Oh and if some moderator would edit that out of Power Board's post, that would avoid all issues :P)

Fair enough , my apologies.
http://bzfederation.com
Taking Battlezone to a new level ...

And, Powerboard's post is now link-free. 

So, to be absolutely clear, if you have something you want to share post a link to the site that hosts it, not to the actual files.  Be very sure you don't post anything here that isn't 100% legal.  Thank you for your support...

-Av-

Launch

Quote from: Sonic on November 02, 2008, 01:44:19 PM
The issue last I checked was a small piece of Intellectual Property inside those installers that someone owned who hates CmptrWz. As such they declared that no site run by or hosted by CmptrWz may host/link to the installer.

A warning to Launch and anyone else, do NOT link to the BZ1 installer again.

Edit:
Damnit Red Devil, you edited my edit! :P

Not to drag up an old post but you do know how silly that does sounds. Total stupidity to me.

P.S.  There is no such thing as a BZ installer , and hence no way this sites host could track it as such. Maybe he pissed somebody off at some point , that is more expectable.

bigbadbogie

Yes it does sound stupid.

But unfortunately we have no choice due to threats from CmptrWz's host. And I think he meant the 1.4 installer.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Power Board

Anyway.......
I turned off my sound accelorator but it sill does the same thing.
I have even tryed the .iso I have for backup but it doesn't work.
Does it matter that i'm on Win XP?

Launch

So selfish , sorry 'WE'  HIjacked your post. Give details on what happens playing and what you have done.

Power Board

Ok, Here is what I do.

1. I click on the BZ Logo
2. I click Multiplayer
3. I click on a server
4. I click on Create Game
5. An Error message saying "Unhandled Exeption" Comes Up
6. It freezes
7. I have to Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Sonic

Quote from: bigbadbogie on November 07, 2008, 06:40:47 PM
Yes it does sound stupid.

But unfortunately we have no choice due to threats from CmptrWz's host. And I think he meant the 1.4 installer.

It was not a patch but a full fledge installer of some kind. I believe the poster even got a ban for a week.

And no, it is not threats, it's legality. The ISP wants to be law-binding, as such we have to be law-binding. And as stupid as it sounds, there was legal reasons the items could not be posted/linked on this server. If you have an issue, take it up with your congressman.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

Nielk1

Quote from: Power Board on November 07, 2008, 08:24:34 PM
Ok, Here is what I do.

1. I click on the BZ Logo
2. I click Multiplayer
3. I click on a server
4. I click on Create Game
5. An Error message saying "Unhandled Exeption" Comes Up
6. It freezes
7. I have to Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Did you remove the Unit Spin AVIs?

Click on the image...

Loki

Yea what Nielk1 said sounds like your issue.   Go into your C:\Program Files\Activision\Battlezone folder and delete the anims  folder.   XP does not like the animated ships.

Nielk1

I think the planet spins for single player are OK, so if you want to keep those, go in that folder and remove the files with unit names (avtank). I don't know this for sure though.

Click on the image...

You know, I've run BZ1 in both XP and 2K without removing the spinning avi's and had no troubles.  I do tend to have tons of older video codecs installed, though, including the cinepak codec commonly used in the old days.

Anyway others have reported that the avi's cause issues, and the game runs fine without them, so as they said try removing them and see if BZ1 runs.

-Av-

Nielk1

How do you even find the needed codec? I thought I had it but they wanted me to buy it.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

My version of Windows XP is the original, no service packs or anything, its just been kept updated, so I have all those old codecs nice and easy. :P

Too bad I do not know of a way to copy them out and register them in another windows install; if anyone can find instructions, do link me...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...