• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Core i7 (Nehalem) reviews

Started by GSH, November 03, 2008, 12:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

With optical processors, it'd probably be easier to use different frequencies of light in the same transistors to drastically increase data throughput.

cheesepuffly

Should i be hating my self that in a 900 kid school, i would be the only one who understands all this? (last year that is, this year im homeschooled)

Something i read a bit ago about something in pencils being better then silicon and getting us up to Terrahertz.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

OvermindDL1

Silicon has enough super-conducting qualities down to about 40 atoms in size, upon which it generates too much heat and because too inefficient to use.  However, graphene (like pencils have graphite, they are close) becomes, oddly enough, an even better super-conductor then Silicon at sizes easily down to 10 atoms in length (the theoretical smallest standard transistor without employing quantum trickery is 10 atoms in length), but becomes near useless in electronics when extending beyond about 42 or so atoms as I recall.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Zero Angel

Very interesting stuff OM -- for a material to possess both conducting and insulating properties. How does it work? Do the extra electrons jump 'around' the thin wires of graphene?

*fires up Wikipedia*
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Red Devil

So we'll be hearing things like, "Oh man, I just got a #2B and it's fast!"  "Oh yeah?  I got a #9H and it'll smoke your rig."
What box???

TheJamsh

I thinks its to do with the materials ability to withstand potential difference. Because the electrons 'jump', having a smaller 'distance' no doubt makes it easier to 'pull' electrons along when a high enough voltage is applied.

ANY element will conduct electricity when the voltage accross it is high enough, the issue is that most of the time the voltage needs to be incredibly high, and the current often makes it explode or heat up beyond use.

Germanium (i think thats the right name) is used in some transistors because it needs a lower voltage to start conducting electricity (something like 0.2V +-). Without impurities, Silicon wouldnt conduct electricty at all (well apart from in the instance i just described where the voltage and current would be un-useably high and melt it).

Allowing electrons to 'move' requires impurities in the substance, which when added to the base element add or take away an extra electron per molecule. Its just a case of finding the right combination of materials to make a 'super-conductor' of some description.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Angstromicus

Are there two spellings?

Nahalem and Nehalem.

Newegg has a core i7 ad on their CPU category page. Mouse over that ad shows "Intel Nahalem". Are they right too, or dead wrong  :?  :-P :roll: :-o :-) :-D :lol: ?

VSMIT

They be dead wrong.  I remember seeing a poster by Intel spelling it "Nehalem."

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.