• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The Fuel Air Bomb

Started by Steeveeo, November 12, 2008, 01:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeveeo

If you viewers have read my recent bug reports, you'll notice that I was working on a new weapon for my bomber.

And well, here it is!

Clicky for Youtube.

The Fuel Air Bomb, also known as a Thermobaric weapon, works in a few stages.

First, the commander calls in the strike, and the bomber departs for the target.
Second, the bomber drops a small pod packed with extremely volatile fuel.
Then, the pod bursts, spraying fuel vapor into the arispace of the target.
Finally, a small explosive ignites the fuel vapor, creating a massive shockwave, comparable to a small tactical nuke!.
And after all that, all that's left is a big puff of smoke and a lot of kickup dust!

Enjoy!

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

lmao. talk about carnage. you like huge weapons dont you lol?

i like the idea. very original. i like the effects too! when is friggin SRV gunna be coming ooot! want to play it badly.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

the smoke before the explosion needs some work, it should spread out more. *if its the flamable gas that ignites*

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

Yeah, I thought that.

Could do with a spray of black liquid onto the buildings and stuff, and a larger cloud of smoke. And something to balance it out.

Zero Angel

Quote from: General BlackDragon on November 12, 2008, 08:22:14 AM
the smoke before the explosion needs some work, it should spread out more. *if its the flamable gas that ignites*
It doesnt really need to, the smoke is actually the fuel spreading outwards, the destructive potential of an FAE is created by the outward expanding pressure of the igniting fuel, which goes far beyond the boundaries of the fuel vapor.

Anyways, I think this would be useful in a strat environment for a bomb which destroyed 'soft' targets like service trucks, turrets and other units rather than base buildings, in this case it would have a wider radius than the daywrecker which is designed to take out buildings.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

TheJamsh

to me it looks to powerful for what it is.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

Well, not spread out, maybe fade a little more around the edges, i dunno. Kinda looks funky.

Steeveeo

Quote from: General BlackDragon on November 12, 2008, 01:42:34 PM
Well, not spread out, maybe fade a little more around the edges, i dunno. Kinda looks funky.
Its the closest I could get to my reference footage of the real FAE and the ones from World in Conflict without waaayy overloading the particles.

Not quite sure what you mean about "Fade the edges", could you clarify?

GreenHeart

Considering I've been near some powerful explosions while at work i'll can say the flameable gas don't have to reach the target in order to cause damage or toss thing light armored units around.  I've been near some powerful explosions caused when pouring hot liquid metal on to scrap that happened to also contain alot of water causes huge explosions.   (Extremely hot liquid poured on top of water = tnt explosion or greater.)

After seeing the explosion in the video.  The fuel explosion would have to be closer to the target in order to cause that much damage to the entire base. Hover units would have a greater chance of being tossed & taking more damage as a result.  Tracked or walker based units would be less likly to be tossed around & as a result take less damage. 

For Balance Reasons:
No Armor: Instantly Destroyed
Light Armory: Heavy Damage & tossed around.
Heavy Armory:  Only take 20% or less Damage (This would prevent an entire base from being whipped out to quickly).
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

Nielk1

Its not used in a VS base situation, but in a extremely complicated DM.

The idea with a fuel air bomb is the pressure wave.

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

The ...uum, plooms that shot out, just before the explosion, they're still very strong around the edges, they should fade more, maybe increase texutre size at the end a bit? and/or a bit more transparency.

Steeveeo

Quote from: General BlackDragon on November 13, 2008, 09:03:28 AM
The ...uum, plooms that shot out, just before the explosion, they're still very strong around the edges, they should fade more, maybe increase texutre size at the end a bit? and/or a bit more transparency.
Hmm, interesting idea, will test this out when I get home.