• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Where do I start? [DON'T PUT THINGS INTO PAK FILES YOU DIDN'T MAKE YOURSELF!]

Started by CivBase, November 12, 2008, 03:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Warfreak

Why? Practice to master how to replace faces and add verteces without messing up the model entirely.

CivBase

Right.... soo, where can I get a decent modeling program?

EDIT: so I have blender... though I couldn't instal the python thing (is that a problem?)... so now what?

Darkplanet01

Quote from: CivBase on November 21, 2008, 08:20:09 PM
Right.... soo, where can I get a decent modeling program?

EDIT: so I have blender... though I couldn't instal the python thing (is that a problem?)... so now what?
I wouldn't recommend using blender if you aren't already experienced with 3D modelling. It is a very complex program. My suggestion is gmax. I've just begun modelling myself and although gmax is pretty complex, it's far easier than blender.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

Darkplanet01

Quote from: VSMIT on November 17, 2008, 10:34:04 AM
In the armory odf.  Use the pak explorer to extract ibarmo.odf or fbarmo.odf (I think those are the names, going from memory here) and open one in Notepad or some such simple text editor.  There should be an area that is marked clearly as the build slots.  Don't remember what the ODF lines are, and I can't find the small tut I did on them a while back.  It's pretty self-explanatory, though.

Edit: Dangit, AHadley!

VSMIT.
So do I import the ODF using pak explorer after that?

Nielk1

Don't put things into PAK files you didn't make yourself!

Click on the image...

VSMIT

Quote from: Darkplanet01 on November 22, 2008, 02:23:12 PM
So do I import the ODF using pak explorer after that?
If you want to use PAK files for your mod, make a new PAK and place the files in that.  As N1 has said repeatedly, don't edit the stock PAK files.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

AHadley

Put it in Addon and it will overwrite equivalents in most pak files.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: AHadley on November 23, 2008, 04:18:02 AM
Put it in Addon and it will overwrite equivalents in most pak files.
This didn't work. I tried exporting the ODF, editing it and placing it in addon, but I still couldn't get the weapon in-game.

VSMIT

Did you only edit one ODF? I've never had this issue, but then I had the whole weapon folder in addon to edit.  Try that (not the whole weapons tree, just the folder) and see if it works.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Nielk1

If it is in addon, BZ2 is using it. Now does it have the name to overwrite an existing weapon, or is it a new one? A new one must be placed into the game world somehow, via editor or pre-attached to units.

Click on the image...

Darkplanet01

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 24, 2008, 02:57:18 PM
If it is in addon, BZ2 is using it. Now does it have the name to overwrite an existing weapon, or is it a new one? A new one must be placed into the game world somehow, via editor or pre-attached to units.
It's a new weapon, not a replacement. I got a replacement to work sometime before, though now I've forgotten how I did it...

AHadley

Either attach it to a unit, or to the armoury, or place it in-world with the editor.

Darkplanet01

Okay, the Machine Stabber is now working in-game, but I've encountered a new problem. When I morph, instead of turning into the assault machine stabber, I get the assault at-stabber, and when I morph back I get combat at-stabber. In other words, as soon as I morph, it turns into the at-stabber.

bigbadbogie

Remove this from your machine atstab ODF file: altName = "gatstab_a"
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com