• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hosting help.

Started by Hurricane, November 13, 2008, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane

So I recently got McAfee to open after the Service Pack IE8 problem and was very anxious to forward the ports for it. Well I did, but I can't host, apparently, still.

I have opened ports 17770-17772 on my:
-Router
-Windows Firewall
-McAfee Firewall

On McAfee I allowed all incoming and outgoing access to each bzone.exe file listed. I am twisted and confused about this and am requesting some help.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

-Zach.

Zero Angel

First of all. Try temporarily putting your computer on the DMZ (router settings). If you can host after doing this, then check your router configuration, because that's where the problem lies. Else, its probably something on your computer blocking it.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

mrtwosheds

Quite remarkably, windows xp firewall does politely inform you that it is blocking bz2 and asks you if you want it to do this!
if you do not see this after installing bz2 then it will probably be your router blocking it.

GSH

There's a half dozen firewall apps (Windows firewall, Zonealarm, Kaspersky, etc), and a million (plus or minus) makes & models of routers. Some days, it seems like you can get a router free with a chinese food delivery. :P

The general rule of thumb is this: by default, everything will block packets, as that is the safest & most secure. You will need to recofigure most, if not all, devices in your home starting from your computer, and ending at your internet connection to allow BZ2's packets in.

-- GSH

Wraith

Open ports 17770 to 17774 on your modem.
Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

Post a log in Overdrive Terminal if you have a malware/virus problem

OvermindDL1

I *really* doubt a modem blocks anything like that. :P
Although if anyone is using a modem with BZ2... er... get into this century?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Nielk1

I think the new things are still called modems. I have a 'cable modem' and I hear my mother swearing about trying to fix some guys 'DSL Modem' a lot.

Click on the image...

Zero Angel

Couple of things here

1) Modem means modulator/demodulator and refers to the process that dialup modems use to change sound (over the telephone line) into data and vice versa. A "cable modem" or "DSL modem" isnt an actual modem per-se because it doesnt do any modulating/demodulating, but people have called it that so many times (for lack of a better term) that its now acceptable to do so.

2) Modems dont block ports, they only serve data to the internet. The router/NAT is the thing that has a bunch of network ports, does wireless networking, and provides firewall services. This is the thing that you actually gotta configure, not the modem. Though some routers got modem functionality built in, most dont.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

TheJamsh

indeed :) done some electronics work i see ZA...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

What the common idiot calls a 'Cable Modem' and '(A/S)DSL Modem' and other such stupidities are actually gateways, not modems, thus the proper terms would be 'Cable Gateway' and '(A/S)DSL Gateway'.

In either case though, none of them block ports or traffic in any real way.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Axeminister

I know you can set Norton to open ports for BZ2 and when you go to host it still asks if you want to allow this, but it does so behind the game so you have to alt-tab to see it. Maybe McAfee is doing that also. Check it out.
There is no knowledge that is not power.