• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

WINE

Started by VSMIT, November 23, 2008, 11:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VSMIT

So I still don't have access to a PC, but I have been able to dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu.  I have the newest version of WINE but it hangs on the installer.  I know there are some people who are running BZ2 on a Linux box, and I was wondering if there was something I could do to fix this issue.

Thanks.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Dataanti

i think in the WINE console there is a thing kinda like mm5 were you look for the .exe of BZ2 and if you go to Applacations and then over wine there should be wine C:/something or something like that and it will bring you to wines fake C:/ drive and you can put it in the program files there but i dont know if it works cause my computers at the school dont have a 3D accelerater card so i cant play it at school :(

VSMIT

What part of my post did you miss?  I said it hangs on the installer.  I can't even write it to the HDD, so that's a moot point.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Zero Angel

You could try running 'winecfg' and try a different compatibility mode as default. If you're using XP as default, try Windows 98, if you're using Vista compatability then try using XP.

The other thing you could do is to install it on a different PC. All you have to do is physically copy the Battlezone 2 folder to a thumbdrive and then to your Ubuntu PC and create your own shortcuts. There are no registry entries or anything like that, that you'll have to mess with.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

AcneVulgaris

Is your laptop an intel Mac?

VSMIT

Yes, but I have neither a license of XP to put on it nor the money to purchase said license, else I would have.

VSMIT.

VSMIT

I have discovered that with the newest version of Ubuntu, WINE breaks doesn't work so good.  So until they get that working right, I'm still stuck without BZ...

VSMIT.

AcneVulgaris

Quote from: VSMIT on November 25, 2008, 11:15:27 PM
Yes, but I have neither a license of XP to put on it nor the money to purchase said license, else I would have.

VSMIT.

I used the license off my dead old laptop, and finally got around to trying bz under VMWare fusion last night.  It appears that the near clipping plane is about 100m out, so you see through a lot of the terrain.  Was very smooth though, if unplayable.

TheJamsh

how soon until you have access to a PC then VSMIT?

need youre modelling skillage ;)

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

I would have a TON right now from the PCs at the Dump/Recycling Center, but they don't let ppl look at stuff anymore because some JACKASS took a treadmill, hurt himself, sued, and WON.

Click on the image...

Harold Meneley

I don't know what the problem is, but I ran BZ2 ever since Wine 9.0 and it has always worked. The minor problems are being fixed by people reporting them to the Wine Bugzilla. I now use then 1.1.0 version awith BZ2 version 1.2 and Public Beta 1.3 versions 3 and 4a. They seem to work for the most part. I noticed they broke the video frame rate in the newer Wine versions. Always install Wine then onfigure and install BZ2 clean, then patch.

Ceiling_Paint

Quote from: Nielk1 link=topic=8584.msg*stupid*38#msg*stupid*38 date=1228957375
I would have a TON right now from the PCs at the Dump/Recycling Center, but they don't let ppl look at stuff anymore because some JACKASS took a treadmill, hurt himself, sued, and WON.

dude, are you in RI?? i hope you're not talking about the same recycling center im thinking of... i used to pick up old pc's there but then they closed it up in a box thing

Nielk1

NJ here.

I hate idiots.
I also hate idiot enablers (lawyers in this case).

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

I am going to give BZ a shot on my Ubuntu 8.10 soon -- I'll keep you guys posted.

sabrebattletank

My BZ2 and WINE experience

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 with WINE 1.0.1

Install from CD works okish. -- Autorun didn't work, so I had to find "setup.exe" and run that.

Once Installed into WINE's "C:/Program Files/Battlezone II/1.1" directory, version 1.02b works great. (Great nomenclature, eh?) It starts up and I've clocked maybe 3 or 4 instant action games over the past day or two. Running it in WINE's windowed mode works best for me.

I copy the 1.1 folder twice, adding "1.2" and "1.3 PB4" for the installs, respectively.

The fun part comes with the patches -- I can't get them to work at all.
Running the 1.2 installer seems fine until I go to run BZ2 from the "1.2" folder, then I get a "Insert CD" error, and this fun AV: *AV deleted*

The 1.2 installer for me only works when installed to some directory not in what WINE calls the C drive, I think because of its ".wine" hidden status. All I did was copy my "Battlezone II" folder (and subfolders 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 PB4) from the c: drive to the desktop, then install the 1.2 and 1.3 PB4 patches there. I just played a game with no problems whatsoever -- I consider 1.2 to be working beautifully.

Now, for the 1.3 installer -- it runs for a while then gives me these.

"Tried to work with Windows XP SP2 (or higher)'s firewall, but failed. Got : 0x80040154"

And tried to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Runtime libraries -- which it seems to do OK. Then it said the installer worked.
It renames my folders, ex. Addon to Addon_Dates_, so that's good.

But No -- running the "updated" version of bzone.exe does nothing. It doesn't even appear to start and crash -- it simply won't respond when clicked, enter'd, ect. Actually, my CPU spikes when I click on it, but it doesn't show up as a task in  the System Manager.

its bzone.log says this -- but I doubt it's useful, as it could be the same as when I copied it from the original install.

"ERR |Debug           |               debug:298  |18:38:50|86     |Symbol database is too small, current 20000, required 23251
"