• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Did bz1 have something bz2 did not?

Started by cheesepuffly, November 25, 2008, 01:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyNET

No, this topic is not a war. There's a technical disagreement. Not a big deal.

Also AHadley, there's no problem in this thread, so telling everyone to shut up won't help. This isn't a flame war.

I always defined 'patch' as something that modifies the game engine\code itself, and a mod as simply changing the variables the engine uses anyway. Don't forget the humble word that 'mod' stands for is modification, so it's fair to say even patches are mods.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Quote from: PatchA patch is a small piece of software designed to fix problems with or update a computer program or its supporting data. This includes fixing bugs, replacing graphics and improving the usability or performance. Though meant to fix problems, poorly designed patches can sometimes introduce new problems (see software regressions).

Quote from: modA modification of a game made by a player; also a modification of a story made by the audience.

A derivative game based upon a released game. CTF, Painkeep, Requiem, and Teamfortress are all examples of mods of Quake.

Seems obvious to me.  A Patch fixes a game.  A mod is a derivative game based on a game and so forth.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

AHadley

Quote from: SkyNET on November 27, 2008, 01:24:53 PM
Also AHadley, there's no problem in this thread, so telling everyone to shut up won't help. This isn't a flame war.

I'm sorry, I'm just annoyed that all we can do is fight... and I dont mean here, its over at bz2md...

Warfreak

BZ2MD and BZUniverse are in NO WAY WHATSOEVER linked together. What you post here WILL NOT be read by people over there.
And no, not ALL of us jsut fight.

*Reminds self to reinstall BZ1 on pc*

bigbadbogie

They are linked because they have the same members.

And I was under the impression that they are both on the same server too.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

It seems like a what when people keep saying the same thing and nothing ever evolves.

Click on the image...

SkyNET

I think OM's description is acceptable. On the matter of 1.3, it could be considered both.

As for the topic, I found BZ1 more 'atmospheric' than BZ2. It's was like a cold war sci-fi movie that you could play :P BZ1 also had massively better DM, although I personally think BZ2 DM has better maps.

Well, I'm pretty sure the gist of it is that Pandemic has the legal right to the engine and assets and can modify and still support them.  I can't find his post but that's what I got off it. 

And yes, I thought this thread was staying pretty civil other than a few people YELLING AT US here and there...  :lol:

I think it's awesome that people like dx even care to try to keep such an old game alive, let alone actually growing and evolving.  If there's any real testament to an old game it's the great lengths people will go to in order to keep it going...  I think it's a shame that some people see this as an attack on the what?  purity of the game?  status quo?  I don't know...  I never understood it.

I doubt in ten years anyone will be trying to keep Tribes running when we're all using optical chips and holographic displays...  :)

-Av-

SkyNET

Don't be so sure Av. Look at Total Annihilation. That game has maybe a hundred mods, inlcuding some actively developing ones, and spawned an entire fan-made engine(TASpring). It's ten years old and still has tournaments :)

Feared_1

While we're talking about companies owning things, does Pandemic or Activision own the name or concept for Biometal?

Nielk1

Um, DX, that makes no sense at all. Why on earth would Pandemic bother giving BZ2 the subtitle "Combat Commander"? They did it so they can do later games without using the title Battlezone. If they don't have the rights to the characters and story, what on earth would be the point?

On that note, don't ever expect "Battlezone 3", expect "Combat Commander 3" (thought it is not going to happen).

Click on the image...

cheesepuffly

Lock this if you cannot stick to the issue i asked...
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

SkyNET

Agreed. I hate arbitrary build requirements. Now if the factory required an upgrade to get to high tech units, that would be understandable. But nope, you have to fill your base with non-functional buildings to unlock walkers and such.

AHadley

Does seem a little silly, doesn't it?

The Scion build tree is much more understandable, but a little slower because everything costs more.