• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Geeze...Talk about a rag-tag bunch of varmits

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, December 14, 2008, 07:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I finally got around to making a bunch of units, a recycler, and factory. Boy do I have a lot of work still ahead to get a new race of fighting aliens ready for battle. Anyways, as shameful as they appear I've managed to get some of them done. I never realized this before, but getting it all right is easier said then done. Some units still need to be transfered from my other PC, but that'll have to wait for a while. I see I'm also going to need to tweak some of the textures as well. Scaling also appears to need some tweaking as some units are either bigger or smaller then I originally remembered. Here's a screeny using some stock ISDF assets to get things working though. 

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Steeveeo

My god....they're....they're made of WOOD! Johnson, inform Central Command!

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I guess the JPG format just kind of sucks for posting images, but filefront accepts the format. Actually, the models themselves are quite nice looking. Wood? Actually the textures are a desert style camo. Nothing really fancy, but very utilitarian in a sort of can't really texture worth a crap sort of way. Making your own models really sucks up the free hours in a sort of where did my life go when I decided to try my hand at modeling sort of way. I may eventually go completely insane, but making my own stuff really is sort of like throwing away the peanuts and chewing on the shells...it tastes a little bitter at first but after the taste buds go it's really not that bad...LOL.   
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

AHadley

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

wait i know!

its a red and orange image file? thats what it looks like!

BNG Da BZ Fool

Strangely enough getting the recycler and factory parts right was the hard part. I had to illuminate the collision_hc object, and the grid4 objects to get the 2 buildings to even load right. Essentially, the minimum parts required were the terrain, hp_vehicle, _powerup, _com, _light, terminal_podium, and terminal_2g. I figured out that once the recycler parts were added I could reuse the same objects to make the factory too. I never realized how very similar the 2 buildings really are to make. I also made an undeployed recycler; a boxy looking monstrosity that actually deploys itself. Trouble is now that I have way more units ready then I have space to add them them to the buildiitems list of each building. I may have to add them to the constructors build list in the form of another support building; which I had to use to get the stock constructor to build my factory. Not to mention the fact that I need to make models for the other support buildings like the power generators, relay bunker, etc.

Boy! Do I have a lot of work ahead or what? I think I'll call my race something like BNG's Raiders and make them more or less a pirate race that feeds off the assets of other races. My God! A scavenger race that recycles other races! Galactic domination in an eco-friendly sort of way! Don't stop me now boys! I'm on a roll here!

bigbadbogie

Lol. You little treehugger you.

Wooden ships, now eco-friendly galactic domination.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

TheJamsh

wish i could model =[. got all the tools, just cant do it lol

bigbadbogie

You WONT be able to rely on others for every model in Serenesis.

Even BS-er has taken up modelling for MAD after Lizard left, and he is a programmer.

Modelling is one of the most important things to know if you are a modder.

My BZ2 mods:

TheJamsh

yeh thats it exactly. i like to mod things one at a time and get them finished and perfect, and i need models to do that.

Got 3DS Max 7, id like to be able to use it as well as NK1/GH/You do. Maybe ill just ask for help with texturing and UVmapping...

Warfreak

Look at Avatar's Tutorial: http://bz2md.com/fishdotxsi/model.htm

A bit outdated, but still holds true. Keep going trough it as much as you would like, by then you should have the hang of ONE way to make models.

TheJamsh

yeh i went through it a while ago. id probably find it easier if i learnt how to use the program really well first.

got plenty of ideas in my head, just need to learn how to create them... CAD programs were much easier lol

BNG Da BZ Fool

TJ, you might try using TS 7.6 to make models with and then export them to MAX to convert them to XSI. Seriously, Truespace is pretty much a no brainer kind of 3d modelers for peeps with very little modeling savvy. I gave up on just about every other 3d program due to the sheer complexity of them. I almost gave up on modeling until I stumbled across Truespace and Gamespace. The model making part is pretty easy. At first everything was totally alien to me as modeling stuff is pretty complex to begin with, but I was very persistent and determined to make something.

What makes me want to tear out my brain is texturing; I totally suck at it, but now I'm taking a second look and forcing myself to just learn doing it. TS 7.6 also exports to 3DS and ASC both are MAX formats. The modeling tools are easy to understand too.

The primitive objects like cubes, spheres, cylinders, and cones are good for making simple body parts. The real power comes from right clicking the objects and entering into the edit mode. From there you can turn a simple object into a complex object, and do stuff like extruding faces, moving vertex points, and a ton of other cool stuff.

I think the most powerful tool I've come across in TS is the point drawing tool where you basically draw out the basic outline of an object, and then convert the object into an editable 1d mesh object that can then be made into a 3d object by right clicking it to enter into the edit mode. 90 percent of everything can be done in the edit mode.

There's a ton of buttons/tools that I never even use, so all you'd need to learn is the basic user interface, and a few other modeling tools to get started. Trust me, you'll want to kick yourself when you realize how simple TS is to use; I did and boy did it hurt.

TS 7.6 has 2 basic layouts: 1) The Workspace mode for rendering stuff, and 2) The Model mode for creating and editing your models. It also basically includes Truespace version 6 which I mostly use as it's basically the same as my old modeler Gamespace which is now obsolete and no longer supported by Microsoft; yes MS bought Caligari out a while back. BNG.