• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Can rotating planet props with rotating moons be added as working props?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, January 03, 2009, 10:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I noticed an animation sample in TS 3.2 where this is going on in a scene file, and I thought that this might be a cool prop to add in if I can figure out how convert it to a BZII supported format. Has anyone ever attempted/done this yet, and if so what mod uses it? Tanks BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Warfreak

No one has done it, but i've had my ideas.  :-)

WELL... actually, Nielk made a concept map for one of the mods he's helping on that has the Earth rotating in the background, but its part of the skydome.

mrtwosheds

The rotating planets in bz2 so far, are just a sky dome xsi on its side with scrolling texture. Could the dome object itself be animated? I don't know, trouble is sky domes don't have odf files, you just load the model through the console, so I don't know how you would tell it to run the animation.
Sky domes are tricky things, allot of patience is needed to get a new one looking good.

mrtwosheds

To build a dome, it would appear that
1. The model must be a single frame, no idea why, all the ones I tried to make with more came out broken.
2.BZ2 does not build dome meshes like it does with any other model. you need to make an odf referencing the model and drop it into the editor to get the mesh built. It will not show the .xsi in the sky. It also seems not to read the mesh from the binary data folder...
So to get your mesh into the sky it needs to be in a location that is pointed to by your mod, along with all your other msh's.
3.Even then you probably still won't be able to see it! until you start messing with the dome console commands like radius, height and lights.

All in all it is one of the most frustrating and annoying things to try as a bz2 modder.

Nielk1

Click on the image...