• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

How were the original BZII models mapped?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, January 11, 2009, 05:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I'm attempting to get a handle on how to UV map BZII models. I've tried them all and no method reproduces those results I see when I preview an original PIC version created and laided out on a 2D plane. To me it looks like planar mapping; is this the way they were mapped by default?

To give a reference: In Truespace, a model can either be mapped as a whole or individually on a per object basis. However, to get away with single texture file map the model needs to be mapped as a whole otherwise you end up with multiple texture files.

How was it done with BZII. Were the original maps broken and rewelded vertice by vertice? Perhaps some of you guys could post some mapping tips for other modelers to study and adapt as texture mapping seems to be a pretty important task to creating awesome looking models. Tanks BNG.

Question: Prior to UV mapping should unseen faces be deleted from the model part? For example, the bottom face of the cockpit object that touches the main body is never actually seen should it be deleted to make mapping easier?
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

I suspect what I do was done. I select specific faces, apply a simple plane UV map, and then edit it a bit to my liking by vertexes in the UV and then make the texture.

Click on the image...

GreenHeart

hidden faces are not usually of any use.  The only problem i've come across in 1.3 is the alignment problem where the center of the object is used.  To solve that problem i just make a small face then i'll simply scale it so small you can't see it with your own eyes then move it into position.

Their are two methods of uvw mapping.

The easyiest method is taking existing textures & mapping your objects to them.  This would be your best choice if you can't paint a new texture & usually cuts down on the mod size.  Most stock models use this method of resusing existing textures.

The second method usually requires a checker material so you can ensure all the parts are scaled the same & also helps expose the uvw mapping problems. Then you'll simply paint your newly exported texture template.  If you have a good texture artist you could even make a simple cube look like it has more detail in the mesh.  On MPI: GH Snow, you'll see the presents look like they have alot more detail than they really do. 
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

Nielk1

My method can cause stretching if you get lazy (I do).

Perfect example, look at what I had to do to the ISDF symbol on the texture to make it look right on the model:

I myself UV on solid black, move all the parts to far off areas they are definitely not overlapping anything else, select the wnetire body and open the wrapper to see all parts at once so I can position them all on one texture. I put colored shapes that match the UV on the texture then go from there.

Click on the image...

BNG Da BZ Fool

In Truespace I can apply a material color to each object so that the UV map editor seperates them into color groups that can be moved around to seperate stuff for positioning them equally on the UV map layout window. Unfortunately, there are always hidden lines behind the ones I can actually see. I have to scale all the parts down to get everything to fit on the same screen. Is that the way it should be done? I kind of understand about the planar type being fairly easy to map. Do I need to break the vertices and reweld them the way I want them to be laided out in my paint program? Sorry to be such a dumb-ass, but I'd like to get a better understanding of this texture/skinning thingy. Tanks, BNG. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

GreenHeart

Some complex models may need more than one texture however scaling things down should be ok.  Breaking vertex or points to move the uvw map piece may need to be done if you want a certain section seperated from another.  i had one piece that should of been with another group, so i broke the weld & move it.  While i'm uvw mapping i can usually see what pieces i have selected by looking at the scene view in 3d max.  whatever works best..
Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

BNG Da BZ Fool

With reference to planar mapping, would mapping the top half first be simpler then using cubic mapping to do the entire model? The original BZII maps look like they were planar mapped from a side view. Should I follow suit and try to replicate the same method?

GreenHeart

i'd suggest applying whatever is need to get a proper uvw mapping. Only applying a planer to one side would leave the other parts streaked & if you apply the checkered mapping like i suggested then you'll see what i mean. streaked uvw mapping normally don't look good.   certain shaped objects should get different types of mappings applied. If the model is properly uvw mapped it would make the model look alot better ingame.
Signature: