• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Regarding HP's...Is there a generic HP that can accept any powerup type?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, January 23, 2009, 02:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I suspect that there is not, but thought that I'd throw the question out just the same to verify this. I noticed that a few HP's have 2 weapons names seperated by //. Is this specifically for assault and combat modes for the AI? Tanks...BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Red Devil

What box???

mrtwosheds

QuoteI noticed that a few HP's have 2 weapons names seperated by //.
Where did you notice that?

Nielk1

What is liekly is is
"weaponname" // "other weapon name" where ANYTHING after // is a comment meant for the reader of the ODF or as a way to remove code without removing it from the file.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

as Nk1 said, the // enables the ODF writer to write a note to themselves within the file. i think the C++ equivalent is a #

but anyway, in combat/assault ODF's for morphtanks, the ODF has two of the same entries, the second entry is read by BZ2 as the assault version. i think it can read ANY second entry too, so you can pretty much make it swap to a different vehicle lol

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

So, to be clear, anything after a comment mark (//) is there for humans to read, and does nothing in the game.  The engine ignores them.

You'll see a LOT of those in the physics area of a couple of the stock ships, like the Sabre, as they explain what each entry does. 

[HoverCraftClass]
velocForward = 28.5 //
velocReverse = 20.0 //
velocStrafe = 16.0 //
accelThrust = 24.0 //acceleration
accelDragStop = 6.0 //how fast it stops once hands are off controls
accelJump = 15.0 //
setAltitude = 1.0 // how high off the ground

alphaTrack = 21.0 //springs speed it rights itself
alphaDamp = 8.0 //shocks

pitchPitch = 0.25 //nose up
pitchThrust = 0.1 //nose down

rollStrafe = 0.08 //rolls while strafing
omegaSpin = 6.0 //spinning in place speed
omegaTurn = 2.3 //turning while moving speed
alphaSteer = 7.0 //how fast it responds to steering
rollSteer = 0.08 //rolls while steering

You'll also see a lot of that in the weapons and effects as the author tried different entries and liked some of them, or changed them and wanted to remember the original entries.  Something like this laser:

damageValue(N) = 35 // none // 350
damageValue(L) = 20 // light // 200
damageValue(H) = 7.5 // heavy // 75

damageValue(S) = 20 // standard // 200
damageValue(D) = 35 // deflection // 350
damageValue(A) = 7.5 // absorbtion // 75

-Av-

Nielk1

Click on the image...

BNG Da BZ Fool

Tanks guys, I've been toying around with the ODF entries tweaking stuff for my unit versions. One unit I call a BNG Slug uses TV's charge pulse cannon; a truly awesome long range highly destructive weapon. Anyways, this wheeled unit which moves much like the Cerberi Gorgon only a bit faster is going to use a different set of unit voice overs appropriately slowed down to make it sort of Frankenstein like.

I'm also studying all the files associated with making weapons, so I can eventually figure out how to design my own weapons from scratch; no easy task considering each weapon seems to have multiple files associated to make the weapon work.

Has anyone ever attempted to make a tracked type that resembles a Walker? I'm attempting to model such a unit based off the ISDF Rock. Tank ODF. The main problem I'm fighting with now is how to integrate the tracks into the feet objects to avoid making it rock forth and back excessively when it moves. I would imagine that the acceleration settings will need to be set really very slow to make it appear stable when moving, but I do a lot of ingame testing between the 3d modeler and BZII map editor while I tweak ODF settings simultaneously.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

In ALL cases it's always good to start with a unit you know works and modify your way to what you want.  This applies to ships as well as weapons and effects.

-Av-

mrtwosheds

There are a whole load of adjustable settings for tracked vehicle class, listed in the modlog.
Mass, friction, ground interaction, handling, leveling and velocity. You could probably spend days just tweaking them to find out what they do.

TheJamsh

theres plenty of ways to get it to work. you can even lower the centre of gravity in pb3 and upwards i think.

weapons are easy to modify, but can be tough to make something unique. generally you have between 6-8 files minimum

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.