• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Why do people allways kick me?

Started by Power Board, January 28, 2009, 02:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarleTomato

was that a test to an international server? My download speed drops to about half what it was at when i test to australia. and my ping is about doubled. My upload speed only dropped about 10%

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Power Board on January 29, 2009, 02:09:58 PM
@BBB
I'm in Australia.

Me too. I rarely have problems with lag in any MP game.

1.5mbps through telstra. Download speed is 160kbps.

Are you in a rural area or a city? You might wanna upgrade your internet connection.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Sonic

Take note, your bandwidth is not the only factor in lag. Excluding potential issues with your computer (graphic settings too high, etc), you have network latency. This is seen allot of microwave based Internet. It can provide a huge bandwidth pipe but it sucks for gaming. Why? The latency is 2+ seconds long due to EM limitations, conversion to EM and back, etc. Best way to look at it is bandwidth is the amount of water that can travel down the pipe at one time. Latency is related to how fast the water is moving and how long. Some speed test sites like http://www.speedtest.net/ will tell you your latency to their test site. You can also find out your latency to a particular site by pinging it and watching how many ms it takes. In BZ2, the "Ping List" is how long it takes for a game data packet to be transmitted between you and the host.

It can be a pain in the ass, I will be downloading a file at 1 MB/sec from this server and two minutes later I find it takes 30 seconds to load up a page. The reason being one of my ISP's outer routers was on the fritz and jacked the latency up at least 300 ms.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."