• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

issues with 'draw_twirl_trail"

Started by TheJamsh, February 03, 2009, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

this has annoyed me a great deal. im in the middle of writing out a lovely effect for some new pilot weapons, one of these involves a rotating draw_twirl_trail effect drawn directy on the muzzle when the weapon fires (using a flashName render).

my problem is, in 1st person mode, the effect doesnt show. i tried using draw_geom instead, but draw_geom doesnt support rotation, which i REALLY need.

i went in chase and shoulder cam, and the effect shows, but if i zoom in to a certain distance from the effect, its dissapears again. im sure this never used to happen.

anyone know how i can get around it? or how i can set up BZII to draw particles no matter how close to the screen they are?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Quote from: TheJamsh on February 03, 2009, 07:34:26 AM
ti tried using draw_geom instead, but draw_geom doesnt support rotation, which i REALLY need.

Does in 1.3pb4a

Click on the image...

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

Its because the effect is too close to the camera, all particle based effects are culled within 2 meters of the camera. I believe there is a gameprefs line to close that in though. Other than that, you're stuck unless the gun's hardpoint is further from the camera.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

cant find anything in the changelog about draw_geom using rotation, and i AM using Pb4a...

surely its just rotationRate right? ill have another look...

as for that gameprefs line, any idea which line it is?

EDIT: HAHA!

[Chunk]
renderBase = "draw_sphere" or "draw_geom"
InitialPitch = 0.0
InitialYaw = 0.0
InitialRoll = 0.0
AddPitch = 0.0
AddYaw = 0.0
AddRoll = 0.0

Steeveeo

Something about culldistance, or DoCullBehindCamera or somesuch, look up cull.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

nope, no joy... got some things about 'culling' but only lights related

Nielk1

Quote from: TheJamsh on February 04, 2009, 02:29:56 AM

AddPitch = 0.0
AddYaw = 0.0
AddRoll = 0.0

Just use these rotators on a drawgeom...

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

yeh will do. i wanted smoke and sparks too but i guess i cant now. well i could, but it wont be the same.

Nielk1

The draw geom is for the one shooting the gun and those looking. All other effects are for those looking as those in the cockpit don't want to have a gun that lags whenever they shoot it. So, just continue, and don't forget cool effects like falling shells!

Click on the image...