• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Ya gotta commend evolutionists

Started by cheesepuffly, February 06, 2009, 12:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

Time is like distance. It is merely a measurement.

Neither time nor distance have any relevance to the universe other than how WE percieve it!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

CmptrWz

Quote from: Power Board on February 07, 2009, 09:42:35 PM
I just thought I'd show you guys this:

*  Roundness of the earth (Isaiah 40:22)
    * Almost infinite extent of the sidereal universe (Isaiah 55:9)
    * Law of conservation of mass and energy (II Peter 3:7)
    * Hydrologic cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7)
    * Vast number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22)
    * Law of increasing entropy (Psalm 102:25-27)
    * Paramount importance of blood in life processes (Leviticus 17:11)
    * Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6)
    * Gravitational field (Job 26:7)

It took one scientist to discover each of these things. They were in the Bible before those scientists dicovered them. Some of these things were discovered by christians, who didn't have to work hard to find what they were looking for because they were all in the Bible.

If anyone disagree with the above, feel free to PM me.

I disagree. But I won't PM you. I will do the disagreeing right here.

Man wrote the bible, collecting information from a multitude of sources to do. Hell, I have seen shows where they go into detail about where some of the stuff came from. Have not personally run all over the globe to verify them, but that is more a limitation of time and finances on my part.

Thus, for anything to have been in the bible, Man already figured out the science (where science was involved) or had been telling the (largely fictional) stories.

Anyone who says that the bible was written by God, and is infallible, need only look at the original texts (which we still have access to a number of) and the translated versions thereof. They differ in meaning SIGNIFICANTLY in a number of places. And most people do their belief based on the translations. Which we can, as I just mentioned, show to be incorrect.

The bible is an ancient encyclopedia of science and fiction, written by Man. Nothing more.

Warfreak

Agreed, but to put it in more simplicistic terms:

The Sacred Scripture of a religion is a work written by Man to portrait it's beliefs. How accurate it is can be questioned, but those who practice the belief know what they are interpeting from this work. (hopefully)

Example of WRONG interpetations are all the false calls of the End of the World (as we know it) in the past.

General BlackDragon

Lol 2000, OMG WERE ALL GONNA DIE! *ding* oh, look, we're still here. Oh well.

*****General BlackDragon*****

cheesepuffly

The thing is, i have alot of questions in the bible. But then i read the book of Revelation (my favorite book). Although it does seem very far fetched. I dont wanna be a part of that.

THe point is, what do you have to loose? Be a christian, live forever with our Creator in peace and happiness. Dont believe in God, burn forever. (im not trying to change your opinions)

The point is, believing make a person feel good, and also gives someone to blame. If we did evolve, and there is no God, you die and nothing will happen. you probably wont matter, and even if you die, no one really cares in the grand scheme of things, your dead, you can do no more.

If you dont get what im saying, why take a big chance? Who cares if turns out to be fake, its a big risk. If there is no God, you havent lost anything, if there is, you have gained something great.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Angstromicus

The universe is too big and there is too much room for improvement in technology for there to be a climatic finale written down in a book, even within even a billion years (unless something like a meteor, black hole, or gamma-ray burst cuts short our existence [but there's nothing divine or religious about that, just bad luck]). I think that any religion that claims a short existence of humans, or emphasizes how special we are should be questioned.

I believe God and an afterlife exists. But, I don't believe in religion that speaks of humans as the only spiritual life form (in the entire universe), or religion that doesn't believe in technology or human advancement.

To have a soul shouldn't require you to be a human. I'm sure that as technology advaces, the human body will become inadequate and people will live as more advanced beings with enhanced biology or perhaps even as machines with processors that support conscious thought (I'd imagine a quantum processor would work, some scientists believe the brain posesses quantum-mechanical characteristics, IIRC). Besides, there is also a high likelyhood that there are other sentient lifeforms in the universe. Who says that only humans exist or rather that only humans have an afterlife?

Human colonization shouldn't be limited to the Earth, either. There is an entire universe ready for colonization. Why should the human race be subject to an ultimate divine fate here on Earth? There's nothing more ultimate than the cold death of the entire universe!

mrtwosheds

Quotewhat do you have to loose?
Erm, the intelligence I was born with, all the fun of observing the universe at work and trying to figure out what's really going on, allot of pointless superstitious fear, my right to form my own opinions on what is right and wrong, my own self respect, my own good judgement, Rationality, morality and lying in bed on Sunday mornings.

You would do better to ask what your religion has taken from you.

Quotewhy take a big chance?
I don't see it as a big chance, at the age of 4 I was able to see right through the nonsense Christian's were trying to teach me, it was so obviously wrong and stupid, since then I have sought my own "spiritual" knowledge, this is the only way to reach a true understanding. That understanding has revealed the lies behind many religions, and yes they are lies, deliberate and calculated to hide the truth of ourselves (and our "gods"), because knowledge is power and all religions really seek is power over people, to get that, they must hide the truth behind ignorance, nonsense, rhetoric and of course, violence.

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

Angstromicus

Agreed. I've found more success by meditating and maintaining a personal relationship with God than following a "How To..." book.

cheesepuffly

I also agree.

I came to that myself.

The point is, you gotta do it on your own.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Angstromicus

A few good links:

http://www.lawhern.org/Religion.htm
http://www.lawhern.org/Way_Less_Traveled.html
- A couple of articles about the shortcomings of several major religions, as well as other neat tidibts about spiritualality.

http://www.churchofreality.org/wisdom/welcome_home/
- For those who insist on being part of a church, but one that isn't riddled in a religion of blind faith. The church of reality practices "Philosophical realism," which will probably help those who are interested in a rational view of the meaning of life.

BS-er

Quote from: cheesepuffly on February 06, 2009, 12:38:39 PM
More or less, evolutionists work harder than creationists.

In my experience, getting to the truth is often very hard work, vs. our natural human inclinations to simplify our perceptions of the world.

I'm not even trying to say that evolutionists are actually getting to the truth, just that getting to the truth of the deeper mysteries IS often very hard work.

One thing that humans in general excel at is being wrong, scientists and spiritualists alike.  History really bears that out.

We all should believe what we feel, but we'll likely never get to the bottom of who is right (unless angels descend from the heavens, or similar shocking events).  That's why I never like to argue about it, although polite discussion is fine.

bigbadbogie

The reason humans are often wrong, is because we make assumptions based on a bunch of facts we are given, and the assumptions are always made in a way that will personally help us with whatever our underlying problem is, be it fear of death, fear of being wrong... etc.

My BZ2 mods:

AcneVulgaris

Quote from: General BlackDragon on February 08, 2009, 10:48:56 AM
Lol 2000, OMG WERE ALL GONNA DIE! *ding* oh, look, we're still here. Oh well.

That's because they still have Jesus locked up in Guantanamo.  When he gets loose, look out!

cheesepuffly

Uh you cant keep Jesus in a prison, unless there is a reason he should stay in there.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!