• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Are terrain ramps single or double sided plane objects?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, February 12, 2009, 04:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I noticed in TS 7.6 modeler that if you right click the plane object settings you can either set single or the defaiult double sided kind in addition to the number of segments for the plane object. What is the optimum number of segements for objects like terrain/__h, etc. I prefer 1 segment to keep the face count low, but would there be a good reason to set the segment count higher? Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

bigbadbogie

You can't see the bottom of terrain__h so why bother?
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

terrain__h is invisible, hence the __h

terrain is not invisible but is perfectly flat, so like all BZ2 mesh without a special flag it is 1 sided.

__2 is the 2 sided flag. __2g is something I have recently seen used on cockpits. It is 2 sided glass (whatever glass means). Terminals should use __2g

Click on the image...

shane ward

From what I can tell, terrain__h tells battlezone to remove that area from the game terrain and make it operate by a object, if the object terrain__h has a face on the top, then nothing can pass through the terrain, but if there is a gap, then a object or player can fall through into the void of battlezone...

So basically terrain__h will take that area of the object away from the terrain and if there is no face, there will be a hole.

Any sense... It is 2am here, not thinking properly.....

Sorry
Shane
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

bigbadbogie

terrain__h will also realign align all terrain around it to fit with it.

@Shane - Objects can't pass through the void, only weapons.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

mrtwosheds

In order to get the building using the terrain_h/terrain to fit the ground without gaps it is best to use a grid of exactly the right sizes like the stock units do, anything else will produce gaps and ugly terrain distortion, the terrain_h and terrain grids are designed to fit the actual bz2 terrain.

BNG Da BZ Fool

Tanks guys. I see the standard sizes are like 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, and 64x64. I seem to remember that AV sent me some terrain ramps that diaappear when they are placed in the map editor and leave the terrain nicely shaped. How does that work. Is it that the map editor builds up the terrain under the ramp? BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

the vertexes of terrain__h do not move in any direction other than up and down, thus, when a terrain_h is placed the vertexes can match their height to the actual terrain. When they are removed (in Av's case by a life span) the terrain remains distorted. Terraforming constructors could use this principle.

Click on the image...