• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Maximum number of turrets a single unit can have without crashing the game?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, February 08, 2009, 03:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

Can the game engine control more then a single y x turret configuration, and if so would naming additional turrets like turret_y_1/x_1 be controlable by the game enigine? I have some exotic units that I'd like to make, but wanted some feedback on whether or not to spend time on the venture.

Also, can stuff usually manipulated by the engine like tread_l/tractor_l__h, hp_light, flame_1__h, hp_emit, etc be integrated into a model that doesn't normally use certain stuff, or is such stuff completely ODF dependent? I love experimenting with such things, but could use some feedback on custom modifying/designing unit class ODF stuff. Tanks BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

To my knowledge, only 1 y turret can be used, but I may well be wrong about that, maybe if you just use turret without the xy limitation?
stuff like tread_l/tractor_l and flame_1 only work on the classes that use them (as do turrets), you can't make treads work on a hover unit (does not work) or put thrusters on a tracked vehicle (or can you? never tried... hmm, a rocket car!)
light, emit, and smoke can be used on any vehicle.

Warfreak

ACTUALLY, the ONLY purpose of the _x and _Y annendums is to limit the rotation to that axis. Without that it can rotate freely.
To my knowledge there is no true limit, jsut keep it at a resonable amount (aprox 8 max is good).\
To make an object limited, just add the _x or _y to the objects name when modeling. (Ex: Head_x)

Any hp referenced by the odf MUST be present in the model.

Nielk1

WF, to my knowledge the _X and _y are utterly useless and only used by the modeler as hints. In fact I have had them backwards before without issue.

The ODF defines the turrets. Only 1 Y turret can exist, and several X turrets can.

Click on the image...

BNG Da BZ Fool

Say for example I wanted to have 2 turrets on a unit could I copy the 2 turrets and form an object union on the Y and X turrets to get them to move together? It just occurred to me that pilots have several of them and that's separate from the animation right? Also, if I modify the ODF to include say HP's that aren't normally part of the file; it won't necessarily crash the game, but they may not work ingame? The reason I ask is that some of my units don't include all of the original HP's listed in the ODF, yet functionally they work perfectly ingame. I've started playing around with making some advance units and seek some feedback on what and what not to try. Tanks BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

Pilots actually have 1 pivot in both directions at their torso. Only 1 rotating turret is possible. Pitch turrets can be multiple. Sadly you can't have a unit with just pitch turrets that turns with the mouse (that would be pretty cool). Sometimes the eyepoint is parented to mesh that is an x turret and sometimes the eyepoint itself is an x turret (thus showing _x in the ODF name is not needed).

Click on the image...