• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Useful Freeware Windows Utilities you might not know about

Started by Zero Angel, March 18, 2009, 11:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawn

Because he capitalised it I would assume it is a proper noun, and the name of the program.

OvermindDL1

As well as a link, try clicking on it. :P

You do need to log in to download it (it is an open source project, the link goes to an article that tells not only about it, but how it works in detail, codeproject is a wonderful programming learning website).  If you do not want to register, just go to BugMeNot

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

CivBase

Where could I get a program that changes .m4p and .mp4 files into .wma files?  What about .flv and .avi into .wmv?

Spawn

Did you try using google?  I hear it can search the internet nowadays.

CivBase

That's too easy... and half the time the first few results are crap.

Zero Angel

I assume because you don't know how to search very well -- for example

[ quote "he advances yet does not seek fame" ]
would search for the word "quote" as well as the phrase

[ "he advances yet does not seek fame" -"Art of War" ]
would search for the phrase, but would exclude search results which had the phrase "Art of War" in them

[ "he advances yet does not seek fame" +Denma ]
would search for the phrase, the word "Denma" MUST be in the search result or it will not be displayed

The square brackets represent the text box, you dont actually type them into the search field.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

CivBase

Right...

I was just wondering if anyone already had some that worked well, as they come in handy.  I know I could search for them, but I don't like trying out programs that might not be high quality.  For example, I could find several youtube downloaders, modeling programs, or other various programs and utilities, but only a handful will be very good.  They all do roughly the same thing, but some are more effective or user friendly than others.

I know how to search, but I like to have the assurance from an actual user that the program is useful and reliable.

Needless to say, if you don't know of one you don't need to answer.  I was simply curious, as I find myself constantly wasting CDs to convert my iTunes files into something readable by other programs.

OvermindDL1

ffmpeg.  It can convert from just about any audio/video format to any other audio/video format, including the above mentioned onces.  ffmpeg itself is a command-line program (which I use it like that), but there are plenty of front-end interfaces for it, WinFF is a popular one for windows, but you should still learn it on the command line regardless since WinFF takes the command-line parameters in its interface.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

AHadley

Anybody know anything about SearchGun? Or is there something else I can use to search through files by their contents?

eg: Find ODF files containint the text 'shipxpl', so I can fix some of my file conflicts.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

AHadley

Oh, it does? Good, I thought it was just a batch renamer.

Nielk1

Quote from: AHadley on April 12, 2009, 01:36:44 PM
Oh, it does? Good, I thought it was just a batch renamer.

I don't think it can do that.

Click on the image...

Nielk1

Yea, I don't think it renamed files, I think it can only change the text inside of files, IE what Steeveeo was talking about. He had to change lots of things IN his ODFs after he renamed them.

Click on the image...

AHadley