• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Newer video cards?

Started by player5, April 02, 2009, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

It doesn't matter what drivers you use, that issue is bumpmapping. its a simple fact of youre card doesn't support it. turn it off and you wont see the problem.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

player5

Bumpmapping is supported by all modern cards, but probably only the dot3 variant. I turned it off.

GSH

My 8800GTX at home definitely supports EMBM bumpmapping. The technology is definitely there. BZ2 also has bugs about using it well (or even properly) in all cases. I know some people think EMBM is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't care for it that much.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

ive never seen the difference myself.

although, when i first downloaded and installed pb4a, it DID make things an awful lot more alien looking. everything look solid and much more shiny.

bigbadbogie

All it ever did for me was screw up the cockpit textures.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley

Same, and I get the hangar (pbsbay) floor textures screwed up too.

Red Spot

Just was told that my drivers might be a bit old by a new game ...
Does someone know which of these drivers is roughly the latest that is safe to install without messing with BZ2 ?

*Something intelligent, yet funny*

TheJamsh

it used to make the sky flicker if i pelted off a few at-stab rounds as well. looked awful!

technoid

Bumpmap can add pizzazz to BZII, but only at the sacrifice of lowering framerate a little bit.  It's worse on older videocards with lower memory transfer rates.  Example, on an old Matrox G450 card (one of the first vid cards I used on BZII), EMBM was excellent (because this is a Matrox card afterall), but it lowered framerate by ~10fps and you're already working with about a max of 1.0GB/s mem xfer and around 30fps, if I recall.  Anyway, with default bump toggle in BZII, things are too shiny.  The next number down on the bump blend scale was a little better (and darker).  And a higher screen resolution helped thin out those bump lines better.