• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Oh, yeah... hooked on Anime discussion.

Started by Avatar, April 05, 2009, 07:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Quote from: cheesepuffly on April 08, 2009, 08:43:48 AM
Yeah but thats the same thing as the theory of evolution but i do not see any anime about that.

Or i can just play Spore.

Actually, it is about Spiral Beings, those being with double helix DNA. Evolution is a topic in the anime, though it is purposely an interesting science fiction view.

Click on the image...

To understand Anime you have to at least try to understand the Japanese culture.  For one thing it's very male-dominant and age-specific.  So, basically older males run the world there...  and of course it's both technologically addicted (cool toys) AND spiritually diverse. 

This gives rise to lots of young-looking (even if not actually young), scantily clad  women wearing childish-looking clothes, flashing bits of cleavage and panties if not actually running around naked, using high-tech gadgets while performing amazing feats of magic and, quite often, gymnastic moves that would snap the spine of any Olympic gymnast.  (That is, when the young-looking women aren't actual spirits, robots, or aliens themselves...)

Keep that in mind while watching Kagome and Inuyasha, the Sailor Scouts, the Card Captor girls, the Major and Bato and the Tachkomas, etc..  Lots of girls in school uniforms with short skirts, fantastic demons, curvy cyborgs, and full on insectoid robots...  all running around fighting others of that list. 

It's usually all over the top, showy, and overly linguistic (shouting the name of the move to increase the move's power, or yelling the name of the character or enemy while striking a cool pose) while at the same time being either really obvious or a total shock...   

Now, I tend to like the ones that have giant robots or other high tech (GITS, Big O, Voltron, Gurren/Lagan), full out magic (Inuyasha, Death Note, Bleach, FMA), lots of fighting (all of them) all the while while having some sort of interesting or different outlook on society and/or reality.

The internet is opening up new opportunities for us Anime newbs, where before you were stuck with whatever you could borrow, afford at Best Buy, or watch on Cartoon Network.  I've been browsing Hulu and Crunchyroll and have found some very interesting shows (Linebarrels of Iron, Blue Gender), which while not always understandably translated for Americans can at least be paused or reviewed until you understand what's going on...  :lol:

I've found I prefer Subbed to Dubbed most of the time, although Bleach and FMA are a cut above some of the others where that's concerned, and of course I can do without Cartoon Network cutting and slashing, making blood black, rewording conversations and otherwise just dropping 'objectionable' content.   But then, I don't have the usual 'Americanized' outlook on this stuff...  I don't need it cleaned of sexuality OR made needlessly violent, which is what a lot of foreigners think is necessary for Americanized TV.

-Av-

Nielk1

Less fighting more thinking, then again I saw this a bit ago: Kino's Journey (Kino no Tabi)
Quantum scifi stuff: Noein (Also has a coming of age story in there.) Trailer

Daiguard is pretty good to, kinda funny, giants robot, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uapwFU9sGYA

Click on the image...

cheesepuffly

I understand the Japanese culture fine, heck i wanted to learn Japanese instead of Spanish this year but yeah.

The point is, i prefer cartoons, adult or kid ones.

They are a bit more open minded, er more variety in what happens.

Im not saying all anime plots are the same, but the are very similar
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

I wish the telly wasnt busy when family guy's on. I get The Simpsons instead. Still good, though.

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: TheJamsh on April 09, 2009, 01:31:18 PM
Family Guy FTW!!!
American Dad FTW!!! (beats the crap out of *insert random anime show here*
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Nielk1

You've DEFINITELY been watching the wrong anime.

Click on the image...

Sonic

Quote from: Avatar on April 08, 2009, 05:48:20 PM
Keep that in mind while watching Kagome and Inuyasha, the Sailor Scouts, the Card Captor girls, the Major and Bato and the Tachkomas, etc..  Lots of girls in school uniforms with short skirts, fantastic demons, curvy cyborgs, and full on insectoid robots...  all running around fighting others of that list. 
Kagome has a physics defying short skirt. No matter how much wind is going on or if she is falling, the skirt never goes up. This was done intentionally by the original staff, not something that happened on its way to the US.

And lets not forget Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, 10 year olds playing with magic equivalent to nukes. :D

Cartoon Network's censor base is somewhat depending on the time space the show is on. Non-Adult Swim at 5am Sunday morning, don't think they have it anymore, but that showed Gundam Seed. There was some cuts made, usually if someone was about to explode spewing guts all over the place and a little less dirty mouth, but compared to censoring else where, it was by far the least I have ever seen CN do. Adult Swim on CN is even better, they censor only what is absolutely necessary by law.

I also prefer subtitles and Japanese audio compared to dub. Allot of anime I have the dub just lacks emotion, its empty and shallow. Sometimes it is down right horrible with them trying to mimic the Japanese voice. This isn't to say dubbing hasn't made progress; InuYasha, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist, Gundam Seed and Martian Successor Nadesico are good examples where the dub quality wasn't bad. Not AS good as the original Japanese voice acting, but a sign of progress. Although at the same time, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Ranma ½, Maison Ikkoku and Angelic Layer were just HORRIBLE in dub quality. *shivers* I do bare through it though as I like to watch an Anime in both English and Japanese, I find the differences between the two to be interesting.

Oh an "Family Guy" and "American Dad" are not Anime's. :P
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

cheesepuffly

I know that, im not stupid.

Still prefer that to almost all anime, except Zoids.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

I think CN's light touch re: censorship and/or reworking is something that's growing, as they take anime fans more seriously.  They're not cartoons, for kids, they're an adult form of art that can depict things otherwise very costly or impossible through any other visual medium.

I think this will continue, possibly thru the internet only, as they realize that it's adults that want to watch these things WITH the adult content.  I can handle actually seeing someone's head cut off, realize that blood is red, and can handle major characters being killed in action. 

Extra points for figuring out where this came from:

"Sgt. Knox got out right after you did!"... um, yeah, sure...  (this sort of thing actually ends up detracting from the sacrifice the character makes for his friends, btw...)

I love it, though, that it's all going so mainstream and is being accepted/embraced by so many new fans.  :)

-Av-

Sonic

I don't mind guts as long as it pertains to the plot. Certain Anime's are too dark for my taste. But I can sit through the Director's Cut of Evangelion and still hold my lunch so I have good tolerance for that stuff. On exclusive adult anime (Hentai), I do draw the line at guro content though. It discussed me so I carefully tread through galleries with special searches to avoid that crap. It is funny though that in Japan they censor the genitals but allow guro.

CN censors out most of the blood in Naruto but at the same time, they are aiming to show this to 10 year olds. While Adult Swim starts usually at 11pm and gives the nice "The following is for mature audience, viewer discretion is advice" warning. I believe CN actually rates their shows as well so in theory if you actually had parents who gave a damn and took the time, could program their TV's V-Chip to filter out shows based on rating. At the very least, you could set your TV system to block CN during the time block Adult Swim airs on.

And isn't that from Starblazers?

I am curious though cheesepuffly, if you like Zoids, why not any similar Anime's like Gundam Seed or Martian Successor Nadesico? Is it because of plot, which Zoids does have, at least from what I've seen. So I'm slightly confused to what Zoids is offering (or not offering) to you that you like.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

cheesepuffly

Well, for one thing, i know gundam, not sure about martian but they both, as with most, feature HUMAN like robots. Zoids offered animals. Which are superior to humans anyway.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

hybirdisdf

The Simpsons,Family guy and South Park are dysfunction family people.