• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Cant install on new Gateway Gaming Laptop Vista 64-bit

Started by FireDad, April 09, 2009, 08:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDad

I searched the forum and found that others are running BZ2 in new Vista 64-bit machines.  Apologies for the newbie question here but this is my first fight with newly aquired Vista machine.  Found a few topics about WOW but dont find how to make it happen.  My BZ2 error message is as follows.

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.   Check your computers system information to see whether you need an x86 32-bit, or x64 64-bit version of the program.

Thanks so much in advance.    FireDad   Dallas Texas

GSH

If you're installing from CD, then that's probably because the installer's a 16-bit Windows app. 64-bit Windows OSs don't have the ability to run 16-bit apps. The installed game is definitely a 32-bit app, which works on a 64-bit OS, but many companies used 16-bit installers back then because it's slightly smaller.

-- GSH

Zero Angel

Do you have a method upon which to install BZ2 onto a different machine and just copy over the installed folder from a thumbdrive or other media? This works out well. You can also install it on another machine, zip the BZ2 folder, burn it to a CD and unzip it onto your vista machine. The installer doesnt create registry keys or anything else so transporting a BZ2 install is uncomplicated.

If you dont have access to a spare machine, you could try running the installer in compatibility mode and see if it works for you. Though I don't know how to do this I figure you can navigate to your bz2 CD, right click the setup.exe, create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Right click on the created shortcut -> go to properties -> compatibility mode
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Nielk1

I suggest you burn a fresh BZ2 install onto a disk to use from now on.

Click on the image...

FireDad

I do have access to a desktop.   I will give this a try.  Thanks guys.  FireDad

OvermindDL1

Could always install a virtual computer (VMWare, VirtualBox, Virtual PC, Qemu, etc...) for the purposes of installing...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

GHA, my VMWare has completely stopped working for no reason, archiving my VMs for when I fix it >.>

Click on the image...

dazza9075

Actually, you dont have to worry about this, the only 16bit app is the launcher which then runs the installer, if you navigate to the setup folder you can run the setup file directly which promptly installs the game.

Worked on every 64 bit windows OS to date, happy gaming, oh whilst im at it, its wise to install the game to /users/username/ on vista and Win 7 gets around UAC issues, i think it was fixed but better install there to make sure you have no probs