• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Visual Studio 2005

Started by Red Spot, April 23, 2009, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Spot

Quote from: GSH on May 02, 2008, 06:58:10 PM
The readme files for 1.3pb3's DLLs note that the Visual Studio Express Editions are quite free, and are fully functional for making BZ2 DLLs. Heck, my laptop's got 2005EE on it, and has made private builds for testers when I've been off on vacation. As the readme says:
QuoteIf you do not have VS.NET, there is a free download from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ . You may also need the
platform sdk from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A55B6B43-E24F-4EA3-A93E-40C0EC4F68E5&displaylang=en
.  If you want to develop your own games, you may want to also
download the DirectX SDK from http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/
For more info about how to download & install these, please see some
good reference sites like
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/FreeVS2005Win32.asp
(The platform SDK has some convoluted steps to install, unfortunately)
VS2008's Express Editions bundle the Platform SDK, thankfully, but the install of the redistributable files is a bit of a pain for 2005SP1/2008.

-- GSH

The link redirects to VS2008. Is VS2005 still available somewhere?
I've been looking all over microsofts site but the links for VS2005 all redirect to VS2008 and any google results comes with the old links for VS2005, and those again redirect to VS2008 ...
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Clavin12

2008 is almost exactly alike 2005 except prettier
C l a v i n 1 2

Red Spot

Perhaps so, but I dont like what it costs after 90 days.

AHadley

There must be some way to manually extend the trial, but as far as I'm aware this can't be done with any program and nobody here has ever done it, least of all me. It can't be done, I tell you!

Nielk1

WAIT? 2008 has a time limit? Screw you M$...

All I had was a 2005 web installer so it won't help if they closed 2005 down.

Click on the image...

Red Devil

I've been using it for months and it hasn't cost me a thing.
What box???

TheJamsh

same as RD, mines no trial edition.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

GSH

I know I had a link to Visual Studio Express 2005 download a bit ago, but I can't find it right now. The epxress editions are always free, though VC++ 2008 Express Edition required me to send in an email address, and they'd send back a code. Not onerous. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express for more info.

DLLs built with VS2008 will (usually) require the Visual Studio 2008 runtimes also installed; build with 2005 to usually require 2005 runtimes. 1.3pb4/4a install the VS2005 runtimes as part of the installer. Next public release (ta5) installs both 2005 and 2008 runtimes.

-- GSH

Red Devil

What box???

OvermindDL1

I think Microsoft changed the guidelines so you can use the Express edition for one year (although I guess they may have changed it to 90 days), then you are supposed to pay.

I actually own the standard edition (I would like the Pro, hmm, speaking of which, I may ask GSH for a certain DLL or two from the pro edition of 2005 if he still has it...).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Red Spot

Installed 2008, it seems you have to register in 30days to receive support. Which is what confused me as the site said 90days and when you click the register button it brings you to a page with prices ...

Anyway, installed 2008 and have been reading the source code for pb4a and G66-v1.5, which is a bit easier in VS than in notepad :)
But when I try to build the MPInstant dll I get the following errors:
QuoteOutput Window      Compiling...
Taunts.cpp
SubMission.cpp
StratInstant.cpp
StartingVehicles.cpp
MPInstant.cpp
.\MPInstant.cpp(29) : warning C4996: 'fopen': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using fopen_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
        E:\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\stdio.h(237) : see declaration of 'fopen'
DllBase.cpp
Generating Code...
Linking...
   Creating library D:\z BZ AIP Modding WIP\BZ2 1.3pb4a Dll Source Code\Missions\\..\Build\Debug\mpinstant\mpinstant.lib and object D:\z BZ AIP Modding WIP\BZ2 1.3pb4a Dll Source Code\Missions\\..\Build\Debug\mpinstant\mpinstant.exp
DllBase.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp___CrtDbgReportW referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall DLLBase::AddPlayer(unsigned long,int,bool)" (?AddPlayer@DLLBase@@UAE_NKH_N@Z)
..\..\Debug\missions\\mpinstantd.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Creating browse information file...
Microsoft Browse Information Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.30729
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Results      Build log was saved at "file://d:\z BZ AIP Modding WIP\BZ2 1.3pb4a Dll Source Code\Build\Debug\mpinstant\BuildLog.htm"
mpinstant - 2 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Does anyone know what I can/should do to get a working dll out of 2008 based on the pb4a sourcefiles ?

The 'fopen' warning is in a part for the logfiles in MPInstan.ccp. Should this be altered as the log suggested?
static void OpenLogfile(void)
{
if(logfpout == NULL)
logfpout = fopen("c:\\mpinstant.txt", "w");
}

For the error I think its the following bit from DLLBase.ccp:
bool DLLBase::AddPlayer(DPID id, int Team, bool ShouldCreateThem)
{
_ASSERTE(FALSE);
return false;
}

But have no idea what it means .....

What I also dont understand is that the log speaks of "2 error(s), 1 warning(s)", should I see the warning as error and warning, as the log only mentions 1 error and 1 warning, afaik ...

Also when I first opened the project I got the following warning, but figured I would just try rebuilding the dlls and see if that worked ... ahem ..
It seems it could not convert the missions.suo file:

Any help would be very much apreciated :)

Nielk1

I would suggest using 2005 for those things made in 2005. As GHS said TA5 will use both and I can say the DLL source is from 2008 for those. Perhaps you should use 2005 till TA5's DLLs come out (if ever).

Click on the image...

Red Spot

Well, this topic started cause I couldnt find VS2005....

edit:found something at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Other-Programming-Files/Microsoft-Visual-C-Toolkit.shtml
So far this seems like it is really VS2005 EE as the downloader has finished and is currently installing :)

Red Spot

In VS2005 the same error come up as in VS2008 when using the pb4a sourcefiles.
So I downloaded the last pb3 source files, to be exact: BZ2 1.3b67y.
Those did partially work, it created 3 dll's. Hower it added a d after the name of the project like for mpi it had mpinstantd.dll.
Besides that it is over 400kb where the dll's in pb4a and pb3 are under 100kb.

GSH

The 'd' variant is a sign that you've built a debug version of the DLL. That's larger, as it has no optimizations, etc. If you're developing a DLL and want to debug it, debug builds are very handy. However, you need to ship release & releaseeditor builds to end users.

-- GSH