• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Obsession

Started by Sabre Tank, April 27, 2009, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabre Tank

This is a short summary of the impact Battlezone 2 has had on my life.

Man oh man, I don't know where to start.....

Well, I used to actually play regular Battezone 2 straight from the disk, but DANG I played it all the time. I'm serious, I used to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner (if my mom let me) in the computer room, and I would play Battlezone 2 all day.

In 3rd grade I think, we had to go to the computer lab, and we had to write something like a story or a poem in notepad. I was pondering on about what possible things I could write about, then I thought, Hey Battlezone 2 would be a good choice. Holy crap dude, I wrote a long story about the maps, the storyline, and descriptions on each unit. I even wrote about my strategy.

In 3rd grade for show and tell I brought the Battlezone 2 CD and a stack of screenshots my dad printed off for me. I remember my friend spotting a Mauler in one of the photos, and he's like, "Whoa what's that thingy?" and I was like, "Oh dude, that thing is awesome. Its called a Mauler, it is a vehicle from a race called the Scions, and it is built from a structure called a Forge, which is the upgraded version of a builing called the Kiln. The Mauler cost 70 scrap to build and has a shotgun like weapon that shoots red beams and is really cool! It looks like a spider though." Friend: Cool!

I think about that same day I was saying something to my art teacher about me spinning around on top of the Matriarch while I was being attacked by a Msl Scout and I couldn't control it because the joystick was hooked up.

Also, I was in art one day, and we were making pottery, when I was done I told the teacher and she said, "Okay, now we can put it in the kiln." And I was like "KILN? Where?" And she goes,"Oh its in here" And I looked and saw the big metal stove thingy. I just started going on about, "Wow that's really weird becuase in this game I have called Battlezone 2 Combat Commander there is this race called the scions and they have this building called the kiln and-" She cut me off,"Well, that's a coincidence."

In 3rd grade, I always talked about Battlezone 2 NON-STOP, and one day, my grade was below a 70 in the class, and she asked me to come to her desk, and she said, "Austin, your grade in this class is failing right now, and I feel that its because you cannot concentrate while I'm teaching." "Well-" I started to talk, but she cut me off, "Do I need to call your parents and tell them that all you talk about is this..Battlezone all day?" "Um, excuse me ma'am, its, Battlezone 2:Combat Commander." I corrected her in a strange deep voice. She said nothing else afterward.

In about 5th grade, we had to do a poster project on our favorite thing. I as usual procrasinated and had to do it the day before. I couldn't think of what to do it on, and then, I was like,"Hey! I could do it on Battlezone 2!!" So I used some screenshots my dad printed out for me, and glued them on the poster and wrote descriptions about certain units. It was totally awesome...

bigbadbogie

And I thought I was obsessed with it...

Jesus mate...
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

LOL :P. love the description of the Mauler. As a kid my uncle gave me a PC Demo disc with the BZ2 demo on it. I was hooked! I wanted to build all the building's in those teaser screenshots!

I searched for a copy for months. Luck finally hit me when i decided to sell some of my old PS1 games for cash, and my dad spotted the game fully boxed sitting on the shelf for £2. I traded 'Porsche Challenge' for it, and tore the thing open to look inside.

I was horrified when i got home to realise it didn't play very well on my PC. It crashed all the time. when i eventually worked out how to use the internet i found the 1.2 patch, and played instant action in all its glory. I never ventured into the multiplayer world.

It was about 2-3 years ago that i found bz2md.com, then through that came bzuniverse. I played all the mods i could download on my poxy 4kbps modem (not FE!). WE then upgraded computer, i found PB3 and the rest is history!

LOVE the game. I just REALLY wish i'd got it when it first came out. Hell i wish i played the first Battlezone as well. Them were the days.

its my mission to get BZ2 a well-played game again. The TA5 patch should make that a whole lot easier.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

Cool. I've had the game since it came out. I'm fairly certain it wasn't on the shelves more than a few days when I bought it. I did the same thing with playing it everyday without internet. After about four years I finally got a fast internet connection and discovered patch 1.2 and G66. Man it was on then. My friends and family told me the same thing, that it was all I could talk about. I've beaten hundreds of other games during this time, but would always come back to Battlezone II. I still have my original disk I bought from Fry's Electronics in good condition, however the manual was destroyed in a fire. I also have a second disk that is unused, just in case. I guess this must all sound rather geeky. But when it comes to this game, who cares. I'm totally super glad we have the new patch that will set us up for when we get newer computers.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Feared_1

Time to take a break when you have to do school projects on a video game :P

What eventful elementary school years... :roll:

Warfreak

Quote from: Feared_1 on April 27, 2009, 06:47:44 PM
Time to take a break when you have to do school projects on a video game :P

Ditto.

Purplehaze

Okay, Time for my rediculious story

I really kept the game to myself, really, My other friends though I was  a nerd and that sort. Finally I got fed up of bieng made fun of, and in 5th grade I showed the whole class what the game was like, And after that, I pretty much became the cool kid, Almost everyone I knew played it, but it never really got far, As a young child, when i first got my hands on it I was stoked. At first it had problems runnning on my computer, but finally we upgraded and I hand't see light in a long time. My brother used to want to play it all the time becasue he's got a crappy comp, but i'd only let him when I was eating, It was kind of a waste of my good childhood, but now that I look back, Im really glad I got the game, It changed things, The storyline just made my mind wonder, I have thought up so much crap that if i spilled it in the fourm you'd have to delete it to even be able to load the page, Either way my point is that I wasted my good childhood on it, and Im also glad I got it

After we had internet, and i figured out there were patches for games, One day I searching for a patch for another game, and i found it along with the 1.3pb4 patch, I downloaded that so fast, but i never took the time to get online, I just played IA. Finally about 3-4 months ago i took the time to get online, but i figure out im one version late of a patch, so here i am rambling in the chat room to Nielk1 about if he can host and how can i join a game and this and that and this, Most of you guys chewed me out, But Nielk was bieng nice (Thanks.) finally i saw that advertisement of the new patch as a server name, and i was thinking to myself, Do I have 1.3pb4a? so here I am looking at my version, and i go "Dang" I get the right patch, the first game I join the base is already built, but i have no idea what map this is, I am lost, So I leave, and land myself in a nice game aginst Mr.Negro and some other people that I can't remember, It was a mire map, That's all I know, Eventually finding peace among the BZII online community, Evnetually meeting cheesepuffly online and he was a damn fine host, No lag at all, We played the game for about 3 days togehter, and then he disspaeared. Now i know that he exists on the fourm, and I see him ingame, Along with all of you. Im glad I made the move I did.
BZII Will, and forever will remian, the best game I have ever played, and now that i am sorta active in the fourms, I feel welcomed to play this to eternity, I don't care if computers go holigraphical, Im playing BZII one way or another.

That's my strangly long and stupid story, Hope you liked it.

Damn, I used to have no life, I'd never stop playing this game when i was a kid
Enough, Im done rambling, Tred on mah.
Hey you, Yeah you, In that window, hop outta there.

wasd

Wraith

I used to read the book for it every week before i slept:P
Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

Post a log in Overdrive Terminal if you have a malware/virus problem

AHadley

That's a little odd.

Arbystrider

My turn... it's not much though, because I haven't typed it, when I start typing I can't stop.

Okay, so, "CLEAN UP YOUR ROOOOOOOOM!" my mother again. So, I cleaned everything up -- except the computer. So, when I opened up the drawer in the computer table, I found lots of ancient software like ULead PhotoExpress 6 (IIRC), old computer games which didn't work anymore, and even a copy of Windows NT 4.0! I started cleaning up the rear part of the drawer, when I found BATTLEZONE II!!! My disc is the magenta and cyan one. No idea what the differences between YELLOW/BLUE and CYAN/MAGENTA discs are.

It looked so real, with the activision logo and all, even the printing on the CD case was genuine. It couldn't be a pirated disc. I kept it somewhere for a year (or was it two). Then, when I finally made up my mind, installed BZ2 and stuff, played, as usual, but it was a month after I found out the game had patches. PB4a!

So, then, I started playing more of BZ2. I told my friends about it, they said "Battlezone 2 sucks". Jealous kids... I've got a 10 year old game. You've got a common game. It's even expensive and worthless. Yes, Steeveeo, it was Maplestory.

So, got up on the chat thingy on the screen before joining a game, and found OM1 and N1. Talked and stuff, then ever since my grades started to stabilise and become better. Thanks for making BZ2 an RTS game.

For my graduation exam last year, got straight A's for the first time in 5 years. Then, now, I'm in the highest Co-curriculum Activity in my school (Robotics Enterprise) and also the best class (I'm amongst the top 30 in my school) . Thanks BZ2, and all those who helped in its creation.

To sum it up, BZ2 helped me from a lonely helpless kid to an intelligent local.
Quote from: GreenHeart on October 06, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Beware of internet explorer it is horribly evil.
Yes it is. Stay away. Somebody should warn Microfeck. And call 911.

Nielk1

GOD, that was full of plugs for BZ2.

I have 2 ceramic tiles with things that resemble Scion Archers on them.

Click on the image...

Sabre Tank

Quote from: Nielk1 on April 28, 2009, 11:24:03 AM
GOD, that was full of plugs for BZ2.

I have 2 ceramic tiles with things that resemble Scion Archers on them.

Plugs?

Nielk1

You ever hear someone trying to sell a book, like BOOK TITLE? Some book, BOOK TITLE, filled with intrigue and a deep storyline? BOOK TITLE definitely has that in spades. If you ever want to sit down and read about PLOT A and PLOT B be sure to grab BOOK TITLE! It is just that good. You can get your copies of BOOK TITLE in the book store, or online on Amazon, just search for BOOK TITLE.

goes on for a bit...

Click on the image...

cheesepuffly

Love bz2, never did that much with it though...
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!