• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Serani Mod

Started by Clavin12, May 04, 2009, 11:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Do the units retain their pseudo biological appearance (Scion)? What color are they?

Click on the image...

Clavin12

Probably a light orangey red colour. Yes i want them to be pseudo biological. The scions, especially the sentry seem to be modeled off of insects, but I want these to be based on mammals, wolves and foxes in particular. Shrike is a mountainous planet temperate planet full of boreal forests and tundra.
C l a v i n 1 2

Clavin12

The actual part that you play in the game starts at the end of the time line that I posted.
C l a v i n 1 2

Clavin12

Where do you ppl (especially modders) suggest I start?
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Probably with adding the new technology you want to the EDF and Scions, unless you can already model, in which case you should work on the new models.

Once you've sorted the EDF and Scions, create the Seraghi using existing models as a base... again, unless you can already model.

GSH

Where? As small as possible.

Even if you're extremely talented, it's going to be a LOT of work. New models. Textures. Maps. Effects. Other ODFs. Sound effects. Voiceovers. DLLs. AIPs. Installer. Probably a few other things I've forgotten. And then, debugging things to make sure they play well together will take the 'other' 90% of your time. Even after you can do each one of those things I mentioned above in your sleep, it'll still probably take 6-12 months to finish a project.

Remember this mantra: "do the smallest thing that could possibly work." Don't go off on grandiose plans. Learn to make one model and get it ingame. Don't start on all the categories above simultaneously. Master one. Then, start the next.

-- GSH (a cold hard splash of reality in the morning)

TheJamsh

If you have no modding experience then make a recycler variant or something. Theres no easy place to start, just have to dig in and see where you get on. To begin with its about using youre initiative to find out what does what, how the game works etc.

EDIT: Saw GSH's post, and doing one thing at a time is definately the best way to go. Works for me. Might get a little boring after a while, but still...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Clavin12

I have the beginnings of it such as the ideas, names, storyline, and such.
C l a v i n 1 2

GSH

Ideas? Hope I'm not the one to break this to you, but ideas are a dime a dozen. As Edison said, genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. Making a game is probably 0.1% ideas, 99.9% work. Hard work. And there's no shortcuts.

As before, be realistic about your skills (i.e. how fast you can work). Be honest. Plan for lots of WORK.

-- GSH

TheJamsh

Not that we are trying to put you off or anything lol

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Clavin12

Yeah, i know about the ideas thing. I've had millions of ideas that never came to be.
C l a v i n 1 2

bigbadbogie

You have to be completely obsessed with making the mod if you ever want it to be finished.

I am completely obsessed with FS2 currently and before it I was obsessed with making QF1.

About 6 hours a day should be put aside for mod making if you are truly serious.

And one more tip: Never put something off. If you want to do something, do it RIGHT NOW!!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

I'm gonna have to do it in the summer i have to go places at around three and get back around 7 5 days a week.
C l a v i n 1 2

Steeveeo

Quote from: GSH on May 07, 2009, 12:58:41 PM
genius is 1% inspiration, 99% inspiration.
Wouldn't it have been easier to say 100% inspiration? :P

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

cheesepuffly

Yeah but it makes less sense that way, quotes from famous people cant make sense, thats what makes them so great.

And thats why im starting with RRV, its simple, but shows me how to do a good amount.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!