• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Darn scratch

Started by bp512, May 09, 2009, 02:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

Couple things:

1) Try to continue in spite of the errors. The bik files arent important, all they are is in-game movies. If the movies folder or bik files are absent then the movie will simply be skipped.

2) If you have 2 CDROM drives, try the other one and see if its better at reading through the scratches. -- Alternatively, if you have another PC, try installing BZ2 on that one -- then just put the BZ2 folder onto a thumbdrive or other media and then copy it to your PC

3) Try using a CD-Burning program to make the BZ2 CD into an ISO file, then burn it to another disk and see if you can install from that disk without errors

4) Repair the scratch using an alcohol swab and toothpaste, or a scratch repair kit. There are tutorials on the internet for this, do a google search on "how to repair scratches".

5) Its not very good for copyright law if you employ pirating techniques to search for an illegal copy of BZ2, such as the "all-in-one torrent" which clearly violates copyright. Don't do that.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Red Spot

Quote from: Zero Angel on May 11, 2009, 01:29:34 PM
3) Try using a CD-Burning program to make the BZ2 CD into an ISO file, then burn it to another disk and see if you can install from that disk without errors

I bought some budget games some time ago and the disks where not found by my system. Burning them to a new disk did the trick, although some needed the original disks to get past the CP ....  :roll:
Anyway the above never has failed so far when only installing, and as 1.3 removes the CP that isnt an issue once you get the game installed.

When you have it installed I suggest before you do anything to the install to create a zip/rar out of it so you basicly never have to bothered to use the original disk when you need to re-install .. just unpack the archive.

Quote from: AHadley on May 11, 2009, 12:12:40 AM
I beleive it is legal to download a copy of a game you legally own (though I am by no means certain), but since the link can't be posted on the board without attracting unwanted attention by SMF, it'd have to be PM'ed to you.

What I've heard about that, but not really sure, is that you are (should be) allowed to create a copy of any legally purchased software. But than again you are technically not allowed to install a program for which you only bought one copy on more than one system, even if both are your own systems.
Perhaps its allowed to download it when you own a copy, but the problem is you are not allowed to host/share it.

That said when I first ran Battlefield 2142 it closed itself down cause I at one point used a deamon-tool ..... and that seems to be legal/acepted as well ...
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Zero Angel

Quote from: Red Spot on May 11, 2009, 03:11:49 PM
What I've heard about that, but not really sure, is that you are (should be) allowed to create a copy of any legally purchased software. But than again you are technically not allowed to install a program for which you only bought one copy on more than one system, even if both are your own systems.
Perhaps its allowed to download it when you own a copy, but the problem is you are not allowed to host/share it.
True. Websites which host ROMs (like for SNES and GBA games) have a disclaimer that states that you can only download the ROM if you own the game itself. This grants the website owner some immunity to being prosecuted because the legality of the action is passed over to the end user.

Of course Cmptrwz (the owner of this website) will not touch any 'possibly illegal' software with a 10 foot pole thanks to a certain unknown person who ensures he gets antagonized by his host over it.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

Clavin12

Quote from: AHadley on May 09, 2009, 02:48:30 PM
Clean the disk with a solution of the following chemicals:

59% water
40% isopropyl alcohol
1% detergent

Nice little disk cleaner, works for me. CDs, vinyl records... you name it :lol:

Toothpaste works too, especially with scratches
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Quote from: Zero Angel on May 11, 2009, 01:29:34 PM
4) Repair the scratch using an alcohol swab and toothpaste, or a scratch repair kit. There are tutorials on the internet for this, do a google search on "how to repair scratches".

King Gladiator

Quote from: AHadley on May 12, 2009, 11:58:23 AM

id be extremely careful with this though. some might work but i would try it on a spare cd. maybe get a cd you burned music to and scratch it up a little until you can tell that it is scratched then try various methods and see what one works the best. i wouldnt try it for the first time on your game cd or it could ruin it forever.
The only thing that is necessary for evil to succeed is that men of good will do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

AHadley

It was a quote from ZA, not me.

Arbystrider

Nice quote by the way. It's a one in a million.

Once I tried toothpaste on my GTASA Xbox game. Completely ruined it.
Quote from: GreenHeart on October 06, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Beware of internet explorer it is horribly evil.
Yes it is. Stay away. Somebody should warn Microfeck. And call 911.

Blue_Leader

Quote from: Arbystrider on May 13, 2009, 02:05:42 AM
Nice quote by the way. It's a one in a million.

Once I tried toothpaste on my GTASA Xbox game. Completely ruined it.

Toothpaste actually works well for games with scratches long as it isn't that severe. I was looking on the internet on how to repair scratches and strangely that showed up. One of the odder home remedies for fixing games, or at least attempting.

Zero Angel

Yes, scratch repair on a CD is hit and miss. If the CD is non-functional to you then its the only thing you can really do as it does have a small chance of fixing the problem as well as a chance of causing more area to be unreadable -- still it's is better than no chance. Thats why I put it as the fourth solution (try this if nothing works in other words).
{bac}Zero Angel