• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Now that we have DX9 on our hands

Started by TheJamsh, May 07, 2009, 09:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machine

Normal mapped high resolution terrain textures for BZ2 ! http://www.crazybump.com/

TheJamsh

That program looks bloody amazing. going to DL it now and see how good it really is

EDIT:

That crazy bump program is IMPRESSIVE to say the least. You can edit Normals, Specularity, Occlusion, Diffuse, Displacement all individually and restoring detail looks like a piece of cake.

Only problem is, its a 30-day trial (but all features seem to be there), and it saves each of the above from a texture to 5 different files. If someone can work out how to combine them to get what you made in crazy bump back, itd be perfect for the job. only minor touch ups needed afterwards i think.

Thats the first piece of this kind of software ive REALLY been that impressed by. Besides blender

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

GSH

Normal maps are nice, but require shaders. Although I'd love to give Intel integrated video chipsets the shaft, I think there's still too many BZ2'ers using them.

(Heck, because I don't have any Intel integrated video on my laptop, that makes it harder to test things.)

-- GSH

TheJamsh

Shaders seem to do an awful lot, yet i am still unsure of what they are and what they do...

bigbadbogie

Quote from: GSH on May 09, 2009, 10:28:48 AM
Normal maps are nice, but require shaders. Although I'd love to give Intel integrated video chipsets the shaft, I think there's still too many BZ2'ers using them.

(Heck, because I don't have any Intel integrated video on my laptop, that makes it harder to test things.)

-- GSH

Please shaft them!
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Steeveeo

I still don't get why a Shader Toggle wouldn't work. Then again, I never really did get a reply to that idea back on the TA5 thread...

If someone with an Intel chipset decides to try to turn it on, it would say "I'm sorry, but it appears that your hardware does not support this feature," and then ignores the setting and keeps it off.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

TheJamsh

Well i doubt its an easy thing to program in. In my view id rather get current bugs out of the way before applying new things. One step at a time and all that.

Nielk1

S, its not like a shared is a toggleable thing. It is either FFP or Shaders, and to program in a redundant FFP system as the background for the Shader system, well... Lets just say GSH has a life.

Click on the image...

Commando

It may be best to give Intel Integrated Graphics cards the shaft considering the amount of issues they seem to have with bz2.  That and feedback is rarely received regarding issues with Intel cards from our testers.  Video cards are relatively inexpensive, as long as someone with that card is using a desktop.  If said gamer plays on a laptop, he/she would be out of luck.

AHadley

General BlackDragon

perhaps a render cfg switch to detect if it uses intel or not, and if it does, it simply turns off the feature?

*****General BlackDragon*****

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

GSH

If it was trivial, there's a good chance it would have been done already.

But, with GeForce 2MX cards out there, etc, I'm not quite yet willing to shaft them, too.

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

GSH

Filesize got huge, ground textures stopped tiling correctly, and DXT textures constantly got the transparency holes, no matter how grey my "black" was...

Convert to dxt3 format, not dxt1, and there shouldn't be any transparency holes. Or, wait for the next dxtgen release. Magic option to 'do the right thing' was defaulting to false. :(

-- GSH