• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Screenshot of the radar

Started by Red Spot, May 08, 2009, 09:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Spot

I thought I saw something about it some time ago but cant find it.
Usually I just delete the playership and make a screenshot and cut out the radarmap to get the picture for in the shell, but came to believe there is a command for it. Am I correct and does anyone know which command this is, I cant seem to find it ....

edit: Incase you're wondering why I dont use the method of deleting the playership .. I cant, 1.3ta5 removes the ability to delete the playership (it seems).
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

TheJamsh

there is indeed.

when you start the game, go straight into the map with the editor via a shortcut, and use the following example (e.g., to create one for hilo, use the following shortcut:

C:\Program Files\Battlezone II\bz2edit.exe hiloi.bzn /shellmap 256 256

The two last numbers must be a power of 2 and define the height and width of the bitmap it will create. Its never really perfect, but its the best way to do it i feel. i often make mine draw a 512x512 and then scale it down to 256x256 in XnView. (stock are actually 128 x 128)

The outputted bitmap will be in youre BZ2 folder, or in "My Documents\My Games\Battlezone II" if you use vista.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Spot

Thanks again TJ, +1 karma for you :)

GSH

/shellmap is documented in the readme13.rtf. Recommend you read it. :)

-- GSH

Red Spot

Quote from: GSH on May 08, 2009, 11:15:09 AM
/shellmap is documented in the readme13.rtf. Recommend you read it. :)

I've read pretty much everything in the 1.3ta5 BZ2 folder, except for all packaged odf's .. perhaps I read a bit too much as I cant recall what I need ..  :roll:
Thanks for the heads up though ;)

AHadley

An interesting and useful method is to move the player ship out of the edge of the map in the editor, and take a shot of the map in the editor. Then you get to have fun as you fly back in :lol:

Red Spot

Quote from: AHadley on May 08, 2009, 12:50:36 PM
An interesting and useful method is to move the player ship out of the edge of the map in the editor, and take a shot of the map in the editor. Then you get to have fun as you fly back in :lol:

tried that, but couldnt get a screenshot that quickly ... the flight was cool though .. after 20 times back and forward I needed to use the editor to get to a hold again :D

AHadley

Take the shot in the editor then, from the minimap there.

Red Spot

I already placed pools and scrap, so the editore wasnt really an option. (shellmap didnt work this map either, cause the map is too dark, its just a plain black picture :))

Went with a nice screenshot with the hud disabled (had to ctrl-alt-del out of the game though as I couldnt get it back up ...)

The shellmap generated in BZ2 will depend a lot on layer 3's alpha setting.   There's an excellent tutorial about the various layers out there, I think by TimeVirus, (been a while since I've seen it) that explains this.  You can lighten/darken the minimap by changing the fill in Texture Layer 3, and I've often found my messing around with Winter has caused a totally black minimap to be generated.

That being said you can replace that minimap with any image you choose, so you can always just draw something if you're talented enough.

-Av-

TheJamsh

if you save youre map in the bz2 editor Avatar, then re-open it (if generated with winter), the minimap will re-sample the terrain and everything will look right.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Spot

or use the reset function of the console ;)

Thanks for the tip though Av :)

Quote from: TheJamsh on May 08, 2009, 05:55:39 PM
if you save youre map in the bz2 editor Avatar, then re-open it (if generated with winter), the minimap will re-sample the terrain and everything will look right.

Not if you've played with the Alpha settings for layer 3...  that can permanently lighten/darken the map.

You can use layer 3 to lighten/darken the minimap for a reason...  the tutorial I mentioned recommends using this trick to highlight the pools on a map so they show up better on the minimap.  I wish I had a link to it, but maybe someone else knows what tutorial I'm referring to.  It's the only place I've seen that mentioned.

-Av-

Nielk1

Its TV's tut IIRC. Whoever's it is, it is on www.bzcommand.com now.

Click on the image...

It's "must read" for all map makers...

-Av-