• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Program request.

Started by TheJamsh, May 15, 2009, 02:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Had a thought today that would make making effects far easier.

Essentially, the program would be a particle effect simulator, using the same code that BZ2 uses to draw its particle FX. THe idea is, a black window (of which you can choose the background colour) is where you effect will be drawn as you create it.

You will load .cfg files from BZ2's root directory to enable the simulator to use textures. The program would search for the same supported textures (.pic, .bmp, .tga, .png etc) that BZ2 does within the .pak files and directories contained in the bzone.cfg file.

If the effect is designed to be on a moving object, you will be able to use boxes to make you're fake 'emitter' move. you will be able to pause it, slow it down, speed it up, and move the camera view around, loop the effect etc.

The main section is the big white space where you type in the particle effect data, the same way you would in an ODF file. the effect view window will update and re-read the typed information when it re-plays the effect. you might EVEN be able to load a .wav file into it. Once you've written youre effect, the program can export it to a .odf file.

Okay, its not exactly the easiest thing in the world to create, but is it do-able, and does anyone want to try?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Steeveeo

Sounds exactly like Particle Forge for Sins of a Solar Empire modding.

I had the exact same idea about 3 months back and discussed it with Nielk1 shortly, though I don't remember where that conversation lead, exactly...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

anomaly

Yes. This would be awesome. 

I've always wished there was something like that.  It would make weapon making and the like soooooo much easier.

VSMIT

Quote from: Steeveeo on May 15, 2009, 02:15:09 PM
I had the exact same idea about 3 months back and discussed it with Nielk1 shortly, though I don't remember where that conversation lead, exactly...
Probably to an argument.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Steeveeo

Could be why I can't remember it. :D

TheJamsh

lol well, i dont think it would be easy at all.

It would be damn invaluable to me though. doing effects takes so long because i have to flit in-and-out of game to see the little changes i make and i cant even see that very clearly because its always moving around. being able to look at it solidly and adjust things as i look at it would help so much, and i could work so much faster as well.

Only person i can think of around here right now who COULD probably do it would be Overmind, but the fact that he COULD do it and wether or not he WANTS to or has the TIME to do it are two totally different things.

But still, id love him forever.

VSMIT

I'd actually think that only GSH could really do it, since it would need parts of the BZ2 engine to work right.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

mrtwosheds

Personally I cannot see that it would make it easier, you would still need to understand what each particle systems actually does and how to make it look good in game, and how not to try to and draw 10000 sprites per second because you could not be bothered to calculate what would actually happen...
And how would you expect the program designer to predict what you want to do with particles and effects? The particle system is more flexible than allot of people realise.

Steeveeo

A couple of ideas if anyone does try this:

Some sort of Background Chooser, i.e. Matte, Gradient, Texture, or Sky (Sky would just be a pre-saved screenshot of the selected Skydome).

I think there should be some ability to choose a "Reference Model." Basically just a loader that would read an XSI (and MSH if anyone figures that one out), put it into the view, and spawn the type of effect wherever its set. All hardpoints would be read. Would be ignored if not set, and will not be saved into the ODF in any case. User can move the object on the 3D panel, even while rendering.

Ground Plane (possibly toggleable), used for height-based effects.

Object speed, for checking speed based effects.

Save files. Saves GUI preferences on a per-file basis, like the background color/texture, reference model, etc. Would not have any settings saved to the ODF when "compiling".

A dropdown menu above the particle configs would say "Effect Type" and have the following options:
- Explosion: Puts in a "Damage" section and builds the file based on the Explosion ODF setup. When "rendering" the explosion, it hides the vehicle frame and plays the explosion).
- Weapon: Brings up another dropdown.
Weapon::Gun: Opens up the Gun file so you can edit the gun flash and such. Possible room for ability to edit other things besides effects here.
Weapon::Powerup Crate: Opens the powerup file for editing.
Weapon::Ordnance: Brings up options for the ordnance, effects, damage, speed, etc. Would have a dropdown for weapon types.
- GameObject: Opens up an object file (i.e. Buildings, Vehicles, etc), would override a set "Reference Model" with its own. Object settings may or may not be editable, depending on writer preference and time.

Maybe a flowchart generator and some concept art would help. :P

VSMIT

What would be nice also is a program that would show either an ISDF unit or a Scion unit and allow you to preview different team colors.

TheJamsh

It would make it easier and quicker because you wouldnt have to go in and out of game to adjust youre particles. Im a bit of a perfectionist, and it takes ages to get things looking right.

It also means i will be arsed to do them more often. Doing it as-it-stands is so annoying and long-winded.

I dont know if the xsi reader is neccesary, but i guess draw_geoms would use that anyway.