• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Discussion of Races

Started by Clavin12, May 27, 2009, 02:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nielk1

Quote from: Clavin12 on June 06, 2009, 07:22:37 PM
Anyone read the dune books? There could be some races modeled after those books.

* Nielk1 was looking for a dune command image of the worm but failed to find one.

Click on the image...

anomaly

Anyone read the dune books? There could be some races modeled after those books.

So I take it you don't know about the demo...

bigbadbogie

Score one for intelligence...
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Clavin12

What do you mean? i didn't know that their were any sand worms or anything like that...
C l a v i n 1 2

TheJamsh

I didnt play dune command long enough to find out.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

I never got it to work cause I was the only guy playing.

bigbadbogie

I played through it on my own numerous times.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley

I tried but never managed it.

Clavin12

How come i still lose karma? I don't do anything impolite or rude or bad manners. I'm not redundant, repetitive, or verbose either.

Lol  :lol:
C l a v i n 1 2

It's your pic...  very depressing.

Part of the reason some of the more 'creative' races aren't done, and I'm talking things like intelligent whales, trees, or gaseous life forms, is that races like that wouldn't really mingle with humans much.   Sure you might land on a planet with millions of gaseous creatures and, without very cool equipment, never know it.  Whales might evolve and eventually develop space travel but can you imagine the ships?   And unless the landing party (humans) went swimming I doubt they'd run into a whale landing party anytime soon.

I imagine it'd be a lot like Enterprise, where a coalition of different races would band together and we'd run into the ones most like us at first.  You wouldn't meet the Aquatics until introduced to them by the giant insects, or furry monkey-people, or reptile people.  :)

-Av-

OvermindDL1

The game Sword of the Stars has a whale-like race, ships are liquid filled, very smart, very peaceful, very powerful.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Clavin12

I dont think humans would notice an intelligent tree race very much unless the trees moved first. And what would happen if there was an unintelligent but dangerous race of animals that would have to be fought against. Not like the jak-killer or scrap beast or anything but an actual "race" in battlezone. Probably unplayable because humans are intelligent and players are humans (Probably, lol) therefore it wouldn't make sense for them to play an unintelligent race. ?
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

I was looking into alternate control systems. I was thinking about an insect race that had you control units though a series of general orders. A devoted off map factory would build the command trigger objects and the DLL would interpret. All units near you would follow those orders. A more complex control system (BZ2 standard) would be activateable for a short time for those around you in the later tech tree levels in this design.

I have some interesting ideas put down for DLL ideas, want to hear them?

Click on the image...

Clavin12

Why not. And BTW is this a better pic?
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

no, the old pic was much better. And I think Avatar was joking.

I bet you just get smited a lot about an old topic of thread that still gets traffic. It will calm down.

I borrowed a bunch of ideas from other games, here are some of the original and borrowed ones:

• Localized general command structure as stated above, possible for insectoid race.
  • A race where all structures and units have 2 modes (Combat and Assault?) all swapped by the construction of a special 'trigger' object.
  • A race that utilizes a system of trucks that transport biometal to refineries. (This idea was taken by a mod I assist with.)
  • A race that never makes a big base on the planet but sits in orbit, as such they must be killed an alternate than norm way and bases are all outposts. (This idea was taken by a mod I assist with.)
  • A race with a device that takes over an enemy unit and relays any orders it receives to that unit. It is immobile and can run automatically if placed in a special 'tank bunker' where it becomes like a Gun Tower.
  • A race that is styled like BZ1 but uses the geysers for BZ2 style power generation. (I made some stuff for this.)
  • A race that fares better in cold conditions and can drop local temperatures. (Canadians in my idea playground.)
  • A race that can shield from or create radiation. (Another environmental thing heavily DLL based.)
  • A race, likely a new Borg (the 3rd in BZ2?), that must have units near beacons to be controllable.
  • A race that has robot tanks or such that cease to function when loss of power deactivates the control station or it is lost. (I plan to do this with the Nadir and the radar like building from FE.)
  • A race that places starter buildings that could become anything else chosen (sort of like a selectable upgrade). (Idea hatched in discussion with Warfreak, he may be running with it as he made some demo models.)

Some stuff we have seen:

• A race that uses geysers for powering factories and local power generators for power.
  • A race that uses power generators and extractors and requires build adjacency (com bunker extender).
  • A race that uses lungs and extractors and no build adjacency requirements.
  • A race that uses power generators with no build requirements and anything else must be adjacent (and extractors).

Click on the image...