• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hey There - Newbie Question

Started by Droid, May 27, 2009, 11:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

They were actually modified hovering vehicles, IIRC.

Zero Angel

Yes he is correct. The talon is just a high-hovering hovercraft unit. The strafing (left/right thrust) has been replaced with a rolling maneuver so the talon cannot really dodge in a traditional sense. The starfleet mod also had high-hovering units but this really isnt the same as being able to control your altitude and have full 3D maneuverability.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Droid

Just quickly thinking about this, an aircraft unit in bz2.  The first way I see doing this is setting it's hover height from the ground, but that will mean it just behaves like a normal hover vehicle that is really high up...  Granted I havnt looked much into this, just a quick guess..

**Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried to make something that is dual pilot? also is it possible to increase radar size without crashing the game?

Zero Angel

Not sure it would work. Aircraft have vastly different physics than hover vehicles. One can mess with the 'drag' parameters of the aircraft to give it looser handling and obey terrain a little better but aircraft are not constrained by gravity like hover vehicles are. Thats what makes hover vehicles so fun, the fun in becoming good at hovering is that you're constrained by terrain so must find ways to work with and against it.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

General BlackDragon

yet in a dogfight between my jet planes and a hovering anything, my planes will win :)

*****General BlackDragon*****

Axeminister

I used to love Descent and Forsaken. Now that was some 3d flying and it was super fun. I still kick up a game of Forsaken here and there.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Zero Angel

Oh man Descent had incredibly fun multiplayer. I used to own it for the PS1 and my friends would come over and play it all the time. One of my favorite tactics was booby trapping tunnel entrances with quantum mines laid around the outside of the entrance. I would get a kick out of it when I would lure my friend into the trap. That and timesplitters (the zombie mansion mission was amazingly fun for co-op) made us laugh our asses off.
{bac}Zero Angel

technoid

Yeah, Descent1 was fun, I got a kick out of emulating Han Solo's maneuvers in his Falcon, as Descent was pretty intuitive in 3D flying.  I played it a couple times on LAN and then also through the Internet via IPX/SPX. There was also that OpenGL wrapper for it if I remember.  Never got into Descent II & III though, nor Forsaken (had the demo) for that matter.  I *think* someone even converted the Pyro into BZII in the past. 

Feared_1

Quote from: General BlackDragon on May 29, 2009, 08:39:48 AM
yet in a dogfight between my jet planes and a hovering anything, my planes will win :)

Hmm... I'm curious about that...

BNG Da BZ Fool

As far as actual aircraft are concerned a better choice would be to tweak the odf setting on TV's Gull. This was the very first aircraft that I played around in terms of making it fly quite a bit more stable. The pitch up/down was set to high to get the enemy in your sights for long enough to actually blow their tail off; reducing the up/down pitch settings did the trick well enough.

A true dog fighter aircraft seems to need tighter controls for both offensive and defensive maneuvers in an air based death match. Which is why I prefer a Talon class tweaked for speed and control. Jacking the acceldrag setting makes it stop on a dime. I also jacked the forward, reverse and strafe settings way high as well as the accelthrust. I also reduced the straferoll setting to make it roll only slightly; Although, I would imagine that on a true aircraft type the roll settings could be set quite high to make it perform like a real aircraft should. The results made it really easy to attack and flee so to speak. Good weapons configurations for such air units are the heavy chain and salvo rocket combo although I found good results the FE multilock missile if you can manage to orbit around your adversary which isn't to hard to do. What also seems to make a good difference is to space your hp's a bit wider then normal to get a better spread on your weapons fire. For example, on my ivdog I placed the hp rockets on the wing tips in 2 rocket pod objects; it looks very cool in the f2/f3 view.

Anybody have any tips on how to make a cool looking 3d cockpit? I really would like to enhance the cockpit view to add a bit more realism.

Also, I noticed the visibility setting in one trn file...can I increase the visibility setting in this file to make my air dm maps a bit clearer? 275 meters seems a bit low for keeping an eyeball on the other guy. Tanks, BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

OvermindDL1

By 1.2 community I meant the ones that we had dealt with here that caused so many issues.  :)

And yes, Descent and Forsaken was so much fun!  No games like that anymore.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey